Rectum removal recovery time and experiences?

Replies
Views
Shelly2011

I had permanent ileostomy surgery in 06/2011. Things have gone well, but I have spoken with the surgeon and will probably have to have my rectum removed this next summer. I have some hesitations since I was told that I would only be in the hospital 3 to 5 days before and I wound up being there for 14. If anyone has had the surgery, could you please let me know about how long you had to stay in the hospital, how long it took to recover, and any other information you feel like providing. I'm just curious.

DH

Hi Shelly, I had my rectum and anus removed along with a permanent colostomy due to cancer. I was in the hospital for 1 week and it took me about seven weeks to recover. It depends on who your surgeon is and how you are doing while you are still in the hospital. As long as there are no complications, you will not be in the hospital for more than a week. Happy Holidays
Donna

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,488 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I just had my rectum removed and colostomy surgery on 11/14 because of cancer. I also was told I would only be in the hospital 4 - 5 days, but was in for 7. I just had my backside stitches removed yesterday (2 weeks after surgery) and so far, no problems. The only problem I had after surgery was a general discomfort in sitting. I did a lot of slouching and lying around. It seems to feel 100% better after the removal of stitches. I am hoping things will only be looking up.

SallyWillard

I had mine done in September 2010. I was in the hospital for 8 days and couldn't sit for 4 weeks. I had to lay on my side and sleep in a special air bed. Then at 4 weeks, I had to use a special cushion. I was told I'd only miss 4-6 weeks of work but was out for 12. And went back to work with my cushion. It's been over a year, and I can sit normally now. It only causes issues if I sit for extended periods of time in a car. Best of luck to you! It was a tough one, but worth it.

DH

There, right. Your backside will feel sore for a few weeks. Had to lay on my side or stand up. Plus, take pain meds. I tried to use the donut cushion but it didn't help. You just have to be patient and you will eventually heal. My surgeon told me that it takes longer for the backside to heal because air doesn't reach that area. But the pain should go away in a few weeks. Donna

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
CY

I had my rectum removed 9 years ago this Dec. and it is hell that you go through every day. But thank God that I am still living.

row boat
Good day Shelly:

It has been 10 years since my surgery. Everything was removed, including 1/2 of the sigmoid colon. I was in for a 3 to 5-hour surgery, and from the time I left my room until I returned, it was 13 hours. Drugs are wonderful. I had no discomfort at all. My 5-day stay in the hospital was closer to 3 weeks+.

I found that hot showers running down the back were a great relief. I was certain that the stitches were copulating and taking over the whole area. Itching was the only problem. The end result was that I have no discomfort, can sit and drive several hours at a time without any issue.

I was quite bored sitting around the house, so I started building a rowboat to keep myself occupied. I now work 8 to 12 hours a day, depending on construction challenges, and I still put in a full 5 days a week in our shop. I am 70 years old, in great health, and have no problems with the results of the surgery. In fact, the bag is quite convenient due to allowing me to work without interruptions.
Bosco
Shelly:

I had my colon/rectum removed due to Crohn's in Dec 2009 and was in the hospital for 5 days, with 1 month recovery at home, then returned to work gradually. However, I have had less radical surgeries and been hospitalized much longer. It all depends on your particular situation and your body's response. Just know there is hope in recovery. I now work a full schedule and am more active than I have ever been in my life. Yes, I still have moments when I don't feel well or have frustrations with the ostomy, but life is so much better. Hang in there! There is hope.
vanessavy

I had my rectum removed in December when I got the BCIR done. No big deal. I actually think that was the easiest part. I had a drain for a week down there, didn't bother me, then it was removed. I get pressure sometimes when my pouch is full like I have to go to the bathroom the good old-fashioned way. I sometimes have waves of sensations like I want to fart but otherwise it is not that bad.

lexus1

Hi, I had my rectum, colon, and part of the small intestine removed over 3 years ago. I was an unfortunate one that got MRSA while in the hospital, so I was in the hospital for over 4 months. I am very glad to be alive and honestly don't remember any issues post-surgery (except for the MRSA). I had a stoma nurse that visited me at home for a few weeks, and things fell into place because I was so happy to have made it through. I wish you the best, and like most, it should only be about a week in the hospital.