Reversal Back to Colostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
outsider221

My wife has had a reversal but has been finding that even after 4 years she still has to constantly visit the loo, making her very sore. We are unable to go for a walk any distance unless there are public toilets nearby. We cannot go to the theater or cinema. On our last visit to the hospital, she was asked if she would like to have a colostomy, which we are told she would only have to visit the loo once a day or every other day. It seems there are two types: one with a plug or cap and one with a bag. We have to do some research on both options, the operation, the pros and cons.

Any advice or info would be great.

Outsider 221

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tarababy

Dear outsider, let me explain something first. When I was given my ileostomy in 2004, I was told it was only for 3 months... then it turned to 6 months... then 9 months... yep, you guessed it... then to 12 months. In that time, I put a letter in our countrywide, 3-monthly Ostomy newsletter. I needed to find out from others how they went with their reversal. Well, out of the hundred or so people who contacted me, 50 of them had Crohn's like me. And out of the 50 who had the reversal, only 4 of them stayed with no ostomy. The rest couldn't handle life without that bag. So that influenced my decision hugely. I knew a lady whose husband tried for years to not go back to the bag, but he had to as his life was unbearable. I did a lot of research as well and found the odds against me. So I told them, the doctors, they will never touch me again. My life is a thousand times better than before, and I do know I have more to come anyway with a total colectomy. I will be holding that off as long as I can also. So I beg you both, do a lot of checking and try to talk to others who have had the same procedure. Sorry I can't help with the colostomy side of it, but I do know a colostomy is way better and easier to handle than an ileostomy. Good luck with your decision... hope it is the right one... cheers, Tara.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
janice

I had a reversal in Sept. '08. It was a rough recovery having to feel your bowels working again. I was on the toilet a lot. Bowels perforated again this past May and I'm back to 2 ostomies again. The doctor wants to do another reversal but I'm just not sure.

junopete

You didn't state the intestinal problem your wife has that started the process.

Rick.....

Past Member
Tara, why do you say a colostomy is way better than an ileostomy, Rick?

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
outsider221

Rick

My wife had cancer which was very low and it was touch and go as to whether she would be able to have a reversal, which she has had and now wish she had stayed with the bag as we are virtually prisoners in our own home and can only go out if there is a descent toilet on every corner and having to use the loo so often is so sore.
It has been suggested that she could go back to a bag so will do as Tara suggested and find out as much as I can from people who have gone back to the bag, she has at the moment a colonic J pouch (whatever that is) but it does not seem to be working this is after 4 years.
Thanks guys for your feedback will continue to watch this space.
Outsider 221

janice

I've been going back and forth with this issue. I understand how your wife feels. The first time around, I had my bags for 10 months and couldn't wait till my reversal. Like I said in a previous post, it was a difficult, painful recovery. EXTREMELY sore from so many bathroom visits.
I still use the bathroom quite frequently with the bags back. Sometimes, we'll go to dinner and I'll be in the bathroom 3 or 4 times during dinner. I simply ask for a table near the restroom. If people stare because I use it so much, then so what! Let them stare!
I do know, I feel better physically now with the bags, than I did after the reversal without the bags!
Hubby and I were just discussing this issue the other day.
These bags are really a pain in the neck but it comes down to a quality of life issue. I felt bad physically AFTER the reversal so....not sure if I'm going to do it again.
Hubby wants me to try it again but it's not his body, it's mine!
Praying for you and your wife to make the decision that works best for the two of you.