Surgery for Colostomy-Related Hernia?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on undergoing surgery for colostomy-related hernia.
loann2011

I have a question: Has anyone had surgery on a hernia as the result of a colostomy? I had a colostomy four years ago and since then I have developed a very large hernia. I am considering having surgery, but I am afraid that it would pose more problems.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bepositive

Yes, I too developed a stomal hernia 6 years after my ileostomy surgery. As a result, I had severe intestinal blockage. The only solution was to operate to relieve me of this painful condition. The surgery was performed on February 13, 2013. So far, I am fine and back to my normal life. In my opinion, the option to undergo surgery is the right one; otherwise, you may suffer from other complications.
Wishing you all the best.
B+

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
loann2011
Hello,

Thank you so much for replying! I am just wondering if the surgeon can do anything about the large bulge (about the size of a cantaloupe); if he can remove some of my bowels. I am willing to have the surgery, if this is the case.
Primeboy

I found some useful information on stomal hernias at this website: http://colorectalsurgeonssydney.com.au/?page_id=1080

My stoma is sitting atop a large bulge as you describe but my GI told me it is normal. I did not push him with further questions because I have always felt that the bulge provides a great base for the flange. You may want to take this benefit into consideration before any surgery.
PB
loann2011

Thank you for replying! I want to talk to the surgeon about removing some of the bulge, if that's possible. It's sometimes painful, doesn't drain right, and trying to wear clothes that won't show the bulge is becoming an increasing problem.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
loann2011

Thank you for your reply, "Bepositive"! I have blockages frequently and they are very painful! I want to talk to the surgeon about possibly removing some of the intestines, if that is possible.

PatinPickering
Loann, I've had my colostomy since the fall of 1990 (at age 39). I'm now 62. I went through a period of time where blockages were controlling my life. Through this period of time, I'd been with my surgeon discussing whether to move the ostomy to the other side (i.e. ileostomy) but we decided to hang onto whatever healthy colon was left after the original surgery. So in Nov. '07 he did a stomal revision (to clean up the site and repair the hernia) but the blockages returned in 2010. My surgeon referred me to someone who does minimally invasive surgery (laparoscopic). The first surgery was done in July '10 (on Friday morning and home by noon on Saturday with no stitches) but he was convinced that I'd have more issues. In May 2011, we scheduled surgery and we had an issue so he sent me home with great news: I returned the following week and the surgery was a success! I have NOT had blockages or any other hernia symptoms.

I would highly recommend my surgeon (if you're in the Toronto area, I'll post his contact info). There aren't a lot of doctors out there who readily admit that they have NEVER done laparoscopic repair of parastomal hernias (I believe that they cannot figure out how to bring the mesh around the portion of colon before it exits the stomach wall). In fact, if you go on the Shouldice site, this is one of the surgeries which they do not do.
loann2011

Patin, thank you so much for replying. No, I don't live in your area. I live in Williamsburg, VA. I went to my appointment with a new surgeon a week ago and he wants me to have a CT scan this coming Friday. He says that he can repair the hernia and remove some of my large intestine. Still, kinda scary! I have frequent blockages and pain, and the hernia is so large and there is no evidence of a stoma any longer, which makes wearing the bag ineffective, to say the least. There is a lot of leakage and caustic burning around the site. I have to change frequently. Possibly, your surgeon there could recommend someone here in this area that has done this type of surgery? I'm not sure, at this point, if the surgeon will want to just repair or do another completely different opening for the colostomy. Thank you so much! Have a wonderful day!

PatinPickering
Hi Loann. (Sorry for the lag in time.) The doctor to whom I'm referring is Dr. John Hagen. He specializes in laparoscopic surgery. His office is in Toronto (the group is called, "Minimally Invasive Surgery" (MIS). You can review their site at, http://www.misgroup.ca. You might want to consider having it done here.

I have referred him once before and the results were deeply appreciated. AND, I'm almost 6 years of NO hernia issues even though he told me to expect the hernia to return! In point of fact, my peristomal skin is dramatically better now.

If an introduction is required, you can figure out my email info (through this site) and connect with me.
loann2011
Hi, Pat in Pickering,

Thank you for your reply! I am considering surgery on my colostomy with a surgeon
here in Williamsburg, VA. I am a little scared of having this done, as I am
afraid that I may be in worse condition after the surgery. I could not possibly go to
Toronto for this surgery. But, I thank you for the information.

My colostomy hurts, with the large hernia. I have a lot of problems with it.

I hope you have a great day and I thank you!

Loann
Webmaster Mike
Hi Loann2011 and I'm with you on being apprehensive about additional surgeries when you're feeling fine just to get rid of a hernia bulge and stoma reversal. I had a total blockage in 2009 and the ER surgeon performed a transverse colostomy. Within a week of hospital discharge (pun intended) with my new stoma buddy, he began to prolapse. Soon, I developed a cantaloupe-sized hernia under the now 7-inch long prolapsed stoma, which complicated life. At least I no longer have blockage pain or nausea and eat whatever I like. I'm my own stoma nurse and I'm forced to use the Hollister 8531 colostomy bags.

Shower washing the prolapsed stoma with a microfiber soft cloth and then laying down relaxing, while pressuring the stoma to retract using VIVA brand paper towels. I then have to cut a 2-inch oval pattern in the bag wafer and attach. I use the Hollister Adapt lube and deodorant when I first change the bag, and to save money, I switch to Johnson & Johnson Baby oil the rest of the time I drain the bag. The hernia makes me look like I'm pregnant and the happy prolapsed stoma topping off the bulge makes the whole scene look like an alien movie.

My doctor has all staff see this during visits and he's pushing me for a reversal, but I hate the thought of the surgeon taking all the large colon out (my stoma is midline on the right side) and connecting it to the intact rectum. Lots of vessels and such have to be removed and then the complications of repairing the hernia at the same time. I have 100% insurance coverage regardless of Obamacare rules, but I'm questioning the procedure and possible complications. Aside from the looks, I'm without pain, totally active, and eat whatever I like. Removing the hernia and repairing the prolapsed stoma might be in the cards and just keep the colostomy and all the bagging hassles.
caweekley
I have had several surgeries to repair hernias. The big issue with hernias is unless they are causing issues either going potty or keeping your appliances in place, they don't like to do surgery on them. Older ages are very prone to hernias. I have had three different surgeries to repair hernias that interfered with my going at all. But for several months or years later, I get another hernia. Mine have been slowly circling my hernia one at a time. The last time, I asked the surgeon if he could strengthen the area around my stoma so we don't keep chasing them. Well, he did and I thought things were going along well. Then after this surgery, my stoma was recessed and I was having a hard time keeping my appliances in place. So I went to the ET nurse. She tried pressing a convex ring under a convex flange. She pressed too hard and I ended up with a new hernia farther outside of the original ones that were right by my stoma. Ugh! I've struggled for a couple of years until I can't take the pain or issues any longer, so the doctor will swap my stoma over to the right side. I'll be so happy as soon as he gets it done.

Best of luck to you and to your surgery if that is what is necessary.
chesbay

Hi Looann,

I got a colostomy in 2008. I have developed a "mid-size hernia'. It's not causing me problems so for now I will leave it alone although I certainly wish I had not developed one!

You mentioned your surgeon in Williamsburg. I live in Norfolk but have found a surgeon I really like in Suffolk. It's a 25-mile trip but worth it. Dr. Philip Kondylis, with the Bon Secours group in Harbor View, who I have found to be very helpful and a good resource for giving me honest answers and opinions.

If you are looking for second opinions or have any reservations about your current surgeon, I highly recommend him.

Wishing you all the best. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Paul

Edited: I just noticed the date of your original post. This is my first post on this forum and I should have paid closer attention. If you have had your procedure, I hope all has gone well.

wildlife

Hi, only joined today from South Africa. Had my colonoscopy done in 2008 and now have developed a hernia in the ostomy wall and am doing some research on the parastoma laparoscopic Mesh Sugarbaker procedure. Has anyone had this procedure done successfully?