Bowel Movement After Hernia Repair Surgery

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Five

Hi there,

If anyone has had hernia repair surgery with a colostomy, how long did it take for you to have a bowel movement after surgery? Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Five

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Five. There is a cliche, which is often quoted on this site, which goes somethign like:  'the output is dependent on the input'. Most people have nil-by-mouth before the operation, which means there is nothing to come through for a while afterwards. Also, the food given immediately after the op. is often liquid and less, so it doesn't necessarily push through very fast and can cause excessive gasses instead.  A few days without output is relatively normal but some people take much longer than others because of their different metabolism. I hope you get some movement soon but if it does not show signs in the next day or two I would recommend asking about the possibility of a blockage so that they at least know of the problem and can either do something about it or give you an explanation of why it is, as it is.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Five

Hey Bill,

I appreciate the reply. I will definitely wait a few more days for a bowel movement. I am obese, so most likely it will take longer than usual. Thanks for the "input". (Play on words).

Best regards,

Five

No Fritoes?

Hi Five, I'm a newbie here, but I've been a nurse for 15 years. Some things to help things move are regular meals (oatmeal is great for this), plenty of water, about 2.5 liters, and gentle exercise. Walking always works for me pre-surgery.

I had my surgery 1/18 and my appetite has been so depressed I'm not having regular BM's. I take my pain medication only when I absolutely have to because that can slow things down, too.

Good luck!