Post-Ileostomy Diet Recommendations?

Replies
Views
Babydoll

Hi everyone, I didn't think I would have so many problems before and after my ileostomy surgery. Question(s) I have today is what would anyone recommend me eating after ileostomy surgery, they told me liquids at first then move to solids and so on. I am having trouble keeping anything down since I believe they gave me too many medications that make me very loopy and not myself at all. These medications have made me sick and not wanting to eat and throw up the majority of the time. What do you all suggest I can eat or drink for now? I don't really want to go back to the hospital anymore.

Thank you all again,

Dee

Xerxes

How long are you post-op? It does take a while to normalize. As they told you, start slowly. Perhaps something like Glucerna might work and then gradually work up to solid foods. Again, with the latter, be very careful with the types of solids and the amounts that you eat. Some can cause problems. In talking to people, I find that this is a personal thing, meaning that what one ileostomate can eat, another can't. Pretty much, it's trial and error. Don't panic. Everything will work out for you, just give it some time. Good luck!

X_

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Angelicamarie

Hi Babydoll, I have a colostomy, but I just googled what one that has an ileostomy should eat, have you talked to your stoma nurse? Google what one should eat after an ileostomy, because I'm not a medical person and by no means do I want to tell you wrong. You may have to call your doctor's office and tell them that you cannot hold the liquid down. I'm sure someone will jump in and perhaps be able to advise you better. Truly, I would call the doctor's office. Good luck! Angelicamarie

mild_mannered_super_hero

Hello, I can remember back when I had chemo, a lot of things I normally ate caused nausea.... As an example, I love Diet Coke, but back then, one sip of one would make me instantly sick to my stomach. I think you will just have to eat some small portions of different things and see how you react. It may be something weird... Mine was a grilled cheese sandwich, it was the only thing I could eat for a while that didn't make me sick. Best wishes and prayers for you as you go through this recovery time. Stay strong. Mmsh

dadnabbit

Babydoll, I have an ileostomy for almost four years now. I am very lucky that I can eat pretty much anything I want, but different foods cause the body to react differently. Some (like onions, broccoli, and cabbage) cause gas, some (like pasta, oatmeal, and sweet potatoes) cause very thick output, and some (like sugar-laden items and salad greens) cause very liquid output. The real trick to what you can eat is that EVERYTHING must be chewed very thoroughly. CHEW, CHEW, CHEW, and ALWAYS drink fluids with anything you eat. Ileostomates tend to dehydrate very easily and quickly. Many folks tend to stay away from things like nuts, popcorn, or regular corn, and items that normally are more difficult to digest. I eat everything but am careful about amounts and CHEWING THOROUGHLY. The colon is the organ that absorbs fluids from the foods we ingest, and without a colon (or even missing a part of a colon), our output will be more liquid than a formed stool. If you are suffering abdominal pain, are vomiting or running a temperature, you have the symptoms of a blockage or a partial blockage. Gentle massage and HOT liquids can help, like tea, but if you are vomiting with ANY intake, you really should seek medical help and advice. A blockage of more than 6-8 hours distends the remaining intestine and can cause punctures, sepsis, and permanent damage. It can kill you. Doctors will tell you that if you even might possibly have a blockage, seek help.

About medications, they will generally not make you vomit. Loopy, yes, but you should be able to take necessary meds without issue. BUT, pain meds will NOT help the pain of a blockage. Also, you will find that any time-released medications DO NOT work as they should as they don't have enough time in your system to be effective. So be sure that your PCP is aware and adjusts any regular medications that you are on to ones that are not coated or time-released.

Good luck and feel better.

Peace

Nancy

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
NJ Bain

Dee,

I concur with everything Nancy said. Chew your food up very, very well and stay hydrated. I've had an ileostomy for 23 years and you learn how certain foods affect you. Below is a link on how some foods can affect you. There are several online but this one is pretty short and simple.

Ostomy Food Chart

I can pretty much eat anything now like Nancy can, but you're pretty fresh out of surgery. It will take time for your body to adjust but you will get there. I was able to adjust pretty quickly to eating regularly. Just take your time. Stick with clear liquids or soft foods for a few weeks. Eat small portions. If you feel like you're going to get sick, try to hold a pillow tight against your abdomen as it will alleviate pain and keep you from busting your stitches. And as Nancy stated, if you have any pain or run a fever, get to the ER quickly. Hope this helps.

Bain

SusieSusie

Try running scrambled eggs, that's the only thing I could eat. I too felt sick and would bring things back.

It takes time, it took me 5 months post-op and even now I can't eat some things, but it's hugely better than it was.

Slowly I added new foods, and I make my own vegetable soup which I liquidize and have with soft bread.

And chew! Like someone else said.

Lots of luck.

Susie

Past Member

Eat slowly with smaller portions. I did exactly the opposite and wanted to die from the pain. I can still eat tuna but other fresh fish species cause intense stomach pain. Follow meals with tea or other fluids.

Past Member

Hello. Being in the military, we had to eat very fast. After I received my bag, I had to learn how to eat slower, take smaller bites, and chew longer. Meats, breads, and pasta digest great. Fruits and veggies do not. I also had to give up popcorn, peanuts, and seafood (the smell). Hang in there. We are all still alive. If Napoleon can have a war with an ostomy, and Eisenhower ran the White House with one, we can do almost anything!!!

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi hun, if you are still on liquids, try like an Ensure liquid drink or milkshake. Soft foods like poached eggs, soft toast, oatmeal, fish, mashed potatoes, etc. Food for us ileos is not easy to answer as we tolerate, digest, and pass differently. This will be your new journey of discovery - what agrees with you and an absolute nope, etc. Experiment with your food intake when you get there. Remember, chew, chew, chew, and chew some more. Remember, water is your friend and for the first three months, no nuts, seeds, fruit with skins, nor salads, etc. We are here for you, so ask away.