Dirty Filter Dilemma: Ostomy Bag with Fecal Stains - Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Gemd

I had a sample of the Sensura Mio Coloplast bag with the circular filter around the stoma. I know it obviously filters, so filters get dirty but....eww...in just half a day of use, it's covered in fecal brown. Also, since it is a filter, it has tiny dots on it, so it's like polka dot poop. Or so I assume. Either way, it's grossing me out. Otherwise, I love the Sensura Mio. Is it supposed to look gross like that? Do they make not-see-through ones so I don't have to look at it? It just looks so dirty to me that I want to remove it.

Penguins7

I had the same issue with Sensura Mio pouches. I love the wafer, but the filter on the pouch got clogged up. Although the window is nice to see what is going on. I use the Coloplast 2 piece - 11124 and 10011. They work great. Good luck. Penguins7

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Gemd.  I use the Sensura Mio 2pc and they come covered in a fabric-type material, which I cannot see through. I have often wished that it would be clear, so that I can see what's going on! ( each to their own) What I don't care much for is that the charcoal in the  filters comes out with rinsing, but in general I get on with them quite well. As I have said before, I don't trust any of the wafers so I stick them to my own baseplates with belts and use spray-on medical adhesive. This works for me and the appliances last for ages.

Best wishes

Bill

Gemd

Now I'm not certain my "icky part" is the filter. There looks to be a tiny filter at the very top. Then the bag itself...ok there is the hole I cut to fit my stoma, then some blank space where my Eakins ring is, then a circular strip around the Eakins ring. That's the "icky" part.

Also, while it is neat it doesn't balloon with gas, it does the opposite and is like a vacuum seal so it vacuum seals the pancaked poo to that filter or whatever it is. So I can't squeeze the poo that is up there down and out the bag.

I don't want to have to change my bag because I did that yesterday and changing is a laborious pain. Plus, I think I only have 1 Eakins ring left. (More are coming in the mail). I hate to use the last of a supply, especially when the newest medical supply place is an hour away and besides more are coming in the mail.

Sigh. This whole ostomy life is new to me. I just want it to all work right.

Past Member

Hi. With all the pancaking you're having, I think you should really go to a two-piece. I had that problem a lot too. Also, using a pouch with no filter cuts down on the pancaking somewhat. It doesn't vacuum seal when there's no filter. There is always a little air in there to prevent things from pancaking. If too much air gets in, you just "burp" it. If you have a descending or sigmoid colostomy, I would suggest irrigation. It would be the end of all those problems you're having. It saved my sanity and made life worth living again. Regardless of whether you can do that or not, things will definitely be better for you with a two-piece system. Good luck to you. It WILL get better.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Gemd

I have an ileostomy and not a colostomy :(

Gemd

I just called Coloplast and they said any liquid makes the filter not work and clog. My output can be very watery. So it's not a good bag for me. Boo. I loved it aside from this and I hate changing/removing my bags. Especially as I just did it yesterday!

Past Member

Oh... an ileostomy... That's different. They can be a lot trickier, I guess. I still think a two-piece might work better, but you'd have to ask the ileostomy people on here what to do. I'm sure they have the answers. Hope you get it worked out.

Linda

dls

Gem, I tried the Sensura Mio and had the same problem. This bag has a lot of good features - fine soft fabric and excellent adhesion - but I had the same problem as you. The filter gets completely clogged the first time your stoma makes a deposit. Due to the circular (and large) design of the filter, it is impossible to clean or flush. The Sensura Mio is the only bag I've used that caused a real odor problem. I could actually smell my own bag. It's not you, there are YouTube reviews of this bag and the one problem almost always noted is the 'stinky filter'.

Hey, has anyone noticed that they misspelled administrator? What's an Administrator?