Salad for Ileostomy: Blended or Not?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
amj1468

Before my ileostomy, I had all my teeth pulled and cannot wear my dentures. I love salad, so to make it easy to eat, I put all ingredients in a food processor and made a fine slaw-like consistency. I wonder if this would work for my ileostomy....any thoughts?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Two bags

Just after my ileostomy, I had ten teeth removed, and partial top and bottom dentures made. Before I had my new teeth, I had frequent blockages from not chewing my food enough, mostly from vegetables and salad. I was so used to eating fast and not chewing enough. It took months to get used to my new dentures. Now I can eat just about anything without a problem, I just need to chew it really, really well. It can take me 30 minutes to eat a meal, but that's better than a blockage. I used to blend my food at first in a blender. Although it doesn't look very appetizing, it's easy to digest. I've had blockages from coleslaw and shredded cabbage if I eat too much. I would suggest blending your food finer than the slaw-like consistency. Salad and veggies seem to not want to digest and come out almost as they went in. Try getting used to your dentures by wearing them a little at a time. I started out using my dentures only for eating, then would have to take them out because it was too painful. Now I leave them in full time.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello amj1468. When I first had my stoma I blended all my food and it was fine. after a while I gradually blended less and less until I was eating normally again. It just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Best wishes

Bill

Little Red

I have upper dentures and I eat anything I want. Even nuts. I was on Warfarin and greens were a no-no, but I have been off it since Dec 19th and am enjoying my salads and greens again. I think it is just up to the person and their system. I have a colostomy.

Mrs.A

Well, how did your salad work for you? Any issues?

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

After my ileostomy, I was not sure what to eat. I had my teeth removed; I was struggling with weight and high blood pressure issues. After some research, I found this link (https://verv.com/how-to-tackle-high-blood-pressure-with-delicious-smoothies/) and tried their recipes. I must tell you, they are amazing in taste, healthy, and keep you filled as well. Loved them.