Feeling tired and spacey again

In this discussion
Replies
Views
partypooper

Had my Ferritin level checked and sure enough, I'm too low again.
Now I know why I felt like crap.
They want me to go get an iron IV again
once a week for 6 weeks.
I have no good veins
so I'm not looking forward to this again
Is this the way it's going to be forever after these surgeries??

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Txgirl

What's ferritin?
Keep your chin up, honey.
Love ya... Hannah

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
partypooper

It's in the iron family.

When they operate, they do something that some people can't absorb iron anymore.
Anymore, you have to ask for the test.

weewee

Yummy yummy peanut butter sandwiches. No crunchy. Can't eat nuts, but good in iron. Plus, I use the whey powder drink sold in Walmart for weight lifting. It has a lot in it. Also, I use that stuff because I don't like pills.

Gus

Weewee has it sewn up, protein powders especially the good quality ones are great for vitamins, minerals, and amino acids as well as protein. Taken with rice milk or a really skinny milk, they're great.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Gus

Oh, and I can plug the superfood powder I sell too. Excellent stuff, essential oils, minerals, vitamins - a complete food in powder form. Once mixed up, it's easily digested. Message me if anyone is interested.

Past Member
Most excellent suggestions from y'all. Peanut butter has a fair amount of iron...those protein powders are really good too. Personally, when I feel my energy levels drop, I just tuck into a big steak and can feel it hitting the bloodstream almost immediately! Apparently, if you have vitamin C with iron-rich food, it can help absorption (so a glass of orange juice perhaps). I used to have really low iron/ferritin levels pre-surgery with the Crohn's and cortisone use...has been a year since surgery and all blood tests are back to normal...am fortunate not to need any medication.
Am sorry you have to go through the intravenous injections...know what a pain that is. Hope you can find another solution that works (and is less invasive).
isabella

Hi partypooper
I used to always have low iron and was always on iron tabs which I couldn't tolerate and anyway they made no difference, until the docs realised that I wasn't receiving vit B12 shots. I now get these and will for the rest of my life. And as far as I understand, because we have no colon, we cannot absorb vit B12 and this has a direct effect on our bodies' ability to absorb and sustain iron. So without the first, we can't have the second. Since I've had these shots, I have had no problems with iron at all. Not sure if you maybe know all this already, but if not, it may help.
Isabella

Gus

See now, Jo. Lately, I have been having problems with steak. It's not breaking down, creates a lot of gas, and stinks to high heaven... yet still, I haven't had low B12 or iron levels. Just lucky, I guess. Haven't been feeling top-notch of late though. I have a feeling something's not right.
gutenberg
You know Steve sometimes more often than not, that gut instinct is as accurate as some of the doctors, take care Mate.
Past Member

I too take vitamin B-12, I give myself injections twice a month IM. I had a very low reading on my bloodwork a couple of years ago. I am now having normal B-12 levels and have found out how important it is to many bodily functions. Helps mentally and internally. When we lose the part of our intestine that is responsible for absorbing it, there is almost no other way besides sublingual to get it.

Maryellen

I have been having similar issues for quite some time. I was diagnosed with myasthenia a few years ago but over the last six months things have gotten more difficult.
My symptoms include fatigue, numbness and tingling in my hands and feet and quite a bit more. Most are on my left side. Now having severe pain in left hand and wrist.

Has anyone done research on multiple autoimmune problems?

weewee

Lol, look what I found! So you don't have to take pills and waste money on dumb doctors. We have the internet now.

Vitamin B12 is an essential water-soluble vitamin that is commonly found in a variety of foods, such as fish, shellfish, meat, and dairy products. Vitamin B12 is frequently used in combination with other B vitamins in a vitamin B complex formulation. It helps maintain healthy nerve cells and red blood cells and is also needed to make DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Vitamin B12 is bound to the protein in food. Hydrochloric acid in the stomach releases B12 from protein during digestion. Once released, B12 combines with a substance called intrinsic factor (IF) before it is absorbed into the bloodstream.

The human body stores several years' worth of vitamin B12, so nutritional deficiency of this vitamin is extremely rare. The elderly are the most at risk. However, deficiency can result from being unable to use vitamin B12. Inability to absorb vitamin B12 from the intestinal tract can be caused by a disease known as pernicious anemia. Additionally, strict vegetarians or vegans who are not taking in proper amounts of B12 are also prone to a deficiency state.

A day's supply of vitamin B12 can be obtained by eating 1 chicken breast plus 1 hard-boiled egg plus 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, or 1 cup milk plus 1 cup raisin bran.

Hope this helps out more. I would rather eat something yummy.

lottagelady

Those are the sorts of symptoms I get with my fibromyalgia - mind you, the wrist thing could also be carpal tunnel syndrome? Hope you get it sorted soon, I know how miserable it can be! Rachel xx
Teacher417

I have to get B12 shots monthly as well as IV iron infusions. They feel it is due to absorption problems. I had the same problems from my Crohn's before the surgery. Probably won't go away. I also had the numbness in the hands; it turned out to be carpal tunnel. The shot worked so far.

Now I have terrible pain from my rectal area from scar tissue. It causes lower back pain and leg numbness on the left side. Anyone have any suggestions about these problems?

budd002
In the same boat here....Let me help you row!

I too have bad low iron and ferritin, and now I see a nutritionist. She has also suggested that I try to eat something every three hours. Even if it is only some crackers and P.B., I try to have a banana or a yogurt for the nutrients. Some days I can do it, some days not so much.

I'm dealing with this acid thing right now, and I get this funny feeling in my stomach. I feel like I'm hungry and I want to eat something, but that's not it at all. It's the acid building up. She has said if I can manage to put something in my stomach high in iron, like eggs or PB, that will help lessen the acid build-up. Plus, get some sort of iron into my system....