Need advice on rectal mucus build-up with colostomy

Replies
Views
tricia63

Hi all,

I am hoping someone has experienced what I am going through and can give me some advice.

I have had my colostomy since 2009. I had an awful lot of problems with infections and hernias. After 11 operations in 5 years, I was beginning to get used to everything.

About 2 years ago, I started to get an awful lot of mucus build up in my rectum that solidifies and feels like I am sitting on a cricket ball. I have had several sigmoidoscopies, but my surgeon is reluctant to remove the rectum because of my infection and hernia history.

I have been ill health retired from my job working in A&E because I cannot sit for more than 5 minutes without being in agony.

It takes me around 4 hours every day to irrigate my stoma (it doesn't work properly anymore), and then I have to do all sorts of unthinkable things to myself to try and remove some mucus.

This also causes me urine incontinence at times as the mucus has made its own rectosyl which sits on top of my bladder.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Hello tricia. I am sorry to hear that you are having so many problems and I know only too well what issues arise from having a build-up of anal mucus. 

There has been a very recent forum post on ths subject and there are a few more in the 'Collection' section if you are willing to trawl through past posts. However, I  will just repeat what I did in days of yore to sort out the mucus build-up problem:

Prior to my stoma I had been anally irrigating to try to control my incontinence. I figured that the mucus problem might respond to the same treatment. Unfortunately, the stoma irrigation system works with a 'cone', which is nowhere near suitable for anal irrigation, Whereas, I still had a supply of anal irrigation catheters and adapted two of them to attach to the shower unit in the bathroom. One I cut the end off so that the water shot straight out and cleaned the upper regions of the anal stump; and the second was left as it was,  with the water jets coming out sideways. This one was twisted round so that all the sides of the anal stump were cleaned as it went in and as I withdrew it.  The process was very effective but very messy. I would stand/ squat in the bath so that anything could be viewed before it was flushed away. I used this method for more than 18 months before the nastiest of the output ceased and the mucus was constantly clear and liquid. From then on, I stopped the irrigation and have simply used incontinence pads to manage the mucus. 

A note of caution should be given about using anal catheters; because there is little or no feeling in the anal stump, there is a chance that you can rupture the walls by pushing too hard. I mitigated this by measuring what was left up there  and then making sure I did not push the catheters in too far. This was helped by having the two different nozzle ends - one to clean the end section and the other to clean the sides ---neither of which needed to apply any direct pressure to the lining of the anus. I would add that I was often in great pain when the harder mucus built up inside.Once I had cleaned it out, the pain subsided and I was really grateful that I had found a solution which did not involve further surgery. 

Some people have found that anal suppositories work for them and I would always suggest trying such non-invasive methods before resorting to anal catheters. Also, I think that the catheters might not be available through the normal channels nowadays because of the risks involved.

Best wishes

Bill   

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tricia63

Thanks, Bill,

It is driving me crazy, perhaps it's time to speak to my surgeon.

My biggest problem, I think, is I have no leakage, it just builds up until I cannot sit.

Thanks again.

Tricia

iMacG5

Hey Tricia, there might be more info for you in Lovely's post entitled "Discharge from Rectum".

Mike

2marilyn2

Hello Tricia,

I use the anal suppositories when I get this problem and it works really well! Might be worthwhile using them regularly to stop the mucus building up and causing pain. I get instant relief once the suppository has worked and I have passed the mucus! Worth a try, good luck!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
tricia63

Hi Marilyn,

I use suppositories & enemas every day, but unfortunately it comes back within a couple of hours.

2marilyn2

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully, someone else on here might be able to suggest something else that might help! It can be quite a challenge at times. Good luck!

lovely

I also just posted a link to some good info on a site I found. This is it, hope it helps. http://www.colostomyuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Rectal-Stump.pdf