Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,316 members

How do you swim w/ a bag?

Posted by sweetkat, on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:27 am
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I have a two piece bag, I change the wafer thingy once-twice a week and the bags I just put on take off and throw away, no mess no nothing, nice actually, but I love to swim and get scared that if i swim, i have to wrap it and do all of this silly stuff, in fear of it falling off? Anyone have any ideas, I've got 2 boys who love to swim, and I love swimming myself, so if anyone could shoot a secret or two my way that's be great thanks!
Reply by beyondpar, on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:53 am
Goodmorning  SK,

Do you have ILEO or colo  ,  I forgot,  however know that I get 5-7 days/wafer  and then I use one  pouch  that lasts 4-5 days/week.After emptying i back flush with a glass of warm  ( not hot)  water and that keeps me feeling extra clean..........Just so you know those pouches range in price 5-10 dollars a piece...........  If  you use a drainable, the backflushing works great,  and if you use the closed end.  ( I dont know what to say)  I dont like or use the closed end.......As far as swimming goes, as long as you have a good seal on the wafer and depending on whether you swim in ocean, salt or fresh water will determine how long after swim you might have to change...If its just a pool, there should be no diff in wear time..........Michael:)
As far as what to do with pouch,  just empty before swim, and depending on output or how soon after you eat will determine how long it will be before it fills up and you might want to get out of the water...This past summer i swam in Gulf of Mexico,  4 straight hours without getting out and not even knowing i had a pouch...Know that because the salt level is so high, after each swim that night I would change the wafer..........thats all.....Hope some of this helps........

PS.  There is nothing special that i do other than making sure its empty upon entering the water............thats   it because my seal on wafer is always good.............I too am a swimmer  and a diver.............And i have no problems.Michael
Reply by sweetkat, on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:00 am
Illeostomy
I do not have a open bag, my insurance is pretty good, so i have the closed end, which I can just throw away after, well yha know. Thanks for the info. I worry about stupid stuff sometimes and it prevents me from doing somethings i love because I'm just plain scared because i don't know the answer, silly huh but thanks again and hope your doing ok
Reply by panther, on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:06 am
I,m from the UK so I am spoilt all our ostomy supplies are free.  If you ins. will cover it you can get stoma caps, a small round closed pouch they only hold up to 50 ml. there are good for using when going swimming.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:01 pm
I have never had a problem swimming (even in the surf)...my swimsuit doesn't show an outline even when wet (I have an ileo and wear a two-piece system) and the bag just dries when you do in the sun or when you dry off (same as when after a shower or bath).  I even think the base adheres better after swimming but then I only usually change the whole deal once a week so this may be different for you.  As panther said if you have a colostomy you can wear a cap if it's easier.
Hope you find something cos there's nothing like taking the plunge and diving right in hey!
Cheers,
Jo
Reply by sherl1, on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:14 pm
hi sweetkat , l  like swimming myself and was in my local pool the other night .  all l can say about it is , make sure your flange is in good condition, and if you feel the need to put  adhesive around it for extra security, if you need to get out of the pool, just check it again  in toilet, you will be fine , it helps also if you have waistband close to flange and pouch , that helps keep it pressed in .   l have been swimming all my life and it gives me no trouble .
let me know how you get on .  sherl ,
Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:22 pm
Hi sweetkat! Smile  I LOVE swimming...on hot days in summer you can't drag me out of the water, I'm either submerged IN it or floating on top of it,   but I am a lake and river swimmer and I usually sneak out to remote areas by myself ... I always bring an extra pouch with me just in case I have a problem, but heck, when I'm in the lake, especially alone, I don't care what happens lol  I throw everything to the fates and totally free myself  ....when I'm in the water I'm wet for a looonnng time....and if my pouch wants to let loose from my body, it can just flippin' go for all I care  lmao  

....now of course I understand that being in a public pool with other people is a whole different story.....

Some pouches (hey Michael, notice I'm using the word 'pouch' Very Happy )  hold up  better than others but I discovered my Hollister Premier pouches hold up in water longer than others I've tried, it's a one-piece ..very comfortable too Smile    There are so many different types of pouches and tapes...but...it also depends on our individual skin conditions sometimes as well...some people have 'weepy' skin  and at that point there might be more trouble with the length of time one can wear a pouch, especially in the water.  Good suggestions are popping in here.  Good luck and have fun in the water!!  Smile
Reply by Mike, on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:14 pm
Very carefully!!
Reply by beatrice, on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:20 am
Not stupid at all -- it was my first question to my surgeon when he said I had to have an ileostomy!

Glad to read all the encouraging answers (again - I asked them too awhile back about snorkeling).

Can't wait till I get this anal discharge/possible fistula cleared up ... I'll be in the pool in a flash.

Don't let the 'pouch' keep you from enjoying the water with your boys, sweetkat!

Jo - the outline of my pouch is visible under my suit, more so once it fills a bit (ileo) ... what type of suit do you have? Got to say that once I'll be in the ocean with the fishes, I won't care who sees what!
Reply by weewee, on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:08 am
you can go to drypro.com they have what you asked for it aint a prety site but you are water proofed
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:21 am

beatrice wrote:

Jo - the outline of my pouch is visible under my suit, more so once it fills a bit (ileo) ... what type of suit do you have? Got to say that once I'll be in the ocean with the fishes, I won't care who sees what!

Beatrice, I have just a regular one piece swimsuit (black) that has extra layers (like "ruching"?) over the stomach area which holds me in but is really comfy and doesn't look matronly!  Just bought it a chain department store here (Big W, really cheap) so they would be available world-wide no doubt.
Even if I have output, with the larger pouch on, it doesn't "balloon" (have spent all day at the beach with only one unload needed!).
Cheers...Jo...
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:00 pm
I use Hollister's image two-piece system with no tape.
I frame my wafer with vinyl tape before I go in the water.
Then I run the blow dryer to the wafer rather than let it dry on its own. I let the pouch dry on its own.
It's been my experience that letting the wafer dry on its own has caused it to smell like mildew as well as become a breeding ground for yeast.
If I have extra supplies, I change it out all together.
Swim girl. Enjoy your freedom!
Reply by beatrice, on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:34 pm
I've seen that type of style before ... will be on the lookout now to buy. Makes sense that the ruching hides things a bit.
Thanks for the info.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:23 pm
well thats what i said when my exwife and i were invite to  a pool party..welll i sat at the edge for a few min..and was very cautious for a few min...then i went in slow stood there for 5 min to see if the wafer would peel off or losen...wooohoo i was good didnt feel it come lose or nothing.i was so JAZZZZZZed  i was in the pool for and hour...and this was 3 yrs ago..there is a pool at my apt and YES i do swim every chance i get..make sure the wafer you use is well glued from the Mfg company i use the holister products...

Hope this helps...
!--Session data--
Reply by aapplet, on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:05 pm
I too have an ileostomy, and normally change the whole thing every 4 days. As well I use Hollister products.  As far as swimming goes, I try not to swim too often as I find that with having a shower and then swimming, it seems to get more saturated and the need to change more often.  They are expensive to buy and don't have insurance where I live, so if I can avoid swimming,  I will.  I love to swim and we live on the ocean, so it is tough for me to not go out there.  I had a few issues last summer, as I have a small fistula  next to my stoma and not sure if the salt water had anything to do with it, but started to get a little infected so now I am more leary of going into salt water.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.