Important Advice from a Newbie

Replies
Views
Bosco
Colostomy in 4 months ago due to complications from Crohn's. I have had output from thick to watery. I got lazy about trying to keep it under control and let it stay watery. Despite the fact that I take in fluids all day, I have stayed in a perpetual state of slight/severe dehydration due to losing so much fluid from my new little "friend." The result now is that I have developed kidney stones (Crohn's patients have a tendency for stones anyway.) So now I am finally getting back on my feet from the intestinal surgery and have a new issue (possibly surgery) for something that I may have been able to prevent...or at least lessen the severity. So, everyone please learn from my stupid mistake--drink lots of fluids BUT keep the output under control! Doesn't do much good for your body if the water goes straight through the digestive tract without being absorbed by the body.

(Will know in a couple of days if they think they can blast them with ultrasound or have to be a bit more invasive.)
lottagelady

Bosco, gosh thanks for that, not something I would have even thought of or heard of from any professional out there? I don't drink enough either ... umm and passing a kidney stone is one of the worst pains ever, I believe? Think we had better take heed!

Thanks again, Rach xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

junopete
Bosco,

I have had kidney stones for years. Each year I get an ultrasound, yep there they are, along with a watery cyst(sp).

Just because you may have kidney stones, does not mean anything needs to be done.

As far as water, yes, more liquid is good. However, having said that, there are other things that may contribute to kidney stones. Calcium and uric acid are just a few.

The next statement I am going to tell you, most people do not understand it. You can teach your intestine to hydrate by drinking lots of liquid daily. At first, it will simply try and pass the liquid.
However, after a while, the intestine will try and absorb more. The body seems to know when something is out of phase or amiss. Naturally, it tries to compensate for the problem.
Much like a cut healing.

Good luck

Rick.....
Jax
Hey Bosco

Junopete is right. The body trains itself. I drink about 3-4 liters of water daily due to a kidney condition I have had for over 30 years, and when I got my little friend too, I was told to drink a lot of fluid. I told them I already do.

With any ostomy, you should always stay hydrated because this could also cause a blockage.

Jax
Tiggy
UGH! I'm sorry to hear about the tough time you're going through!

I remember with Tyler's second-to-last flare-up of colitis, the long-term prednisone he was on was depleting his ability to absorb calcium and other necessary nutrients, so they ended up putting him on a very heavy vitamin regimen. Anyway, turns out he had such an overabundance of certain minerals and vitamins due to the pills he was taking, he ended up developing a horrible case of kidney stones. Now picture this: Poor Tyler, writhing in a hospital bed bleeding out his rectum (from the colitis which still wasn't totally under control), and gasping in pain because of a damn kidney stone to boot!

Suffice to say that was a tough week.

He ended up having to go through surgery to break down the stone and then he had a temporary stent put in his penis so that he could pass any debris that was still in there without pain or problems. I'm not going to lie - the stent was the worst part for him. It was quite uncomfortable but it wasn't like that for long! And since that episode, he hasn't had a kidney stone since.

If you do end up having to undergo surgery, I hope you find some comfort in knowing that a kidney stone procedure is very commonplace and considered day surgery where I come from. You WILL get through this, it'll just be tough for a little while.

*hugs*

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
beatrice
Just adding my 2 cents worth regarding the body re-regulating with increased fluid intake. I was so amazed when I realized this happened.

Started out (ileo dec 09) drinking lots of water and having to pee like a racehorse. Now I'm drinking even more fluids and peeing normally (or a bit more often but not much). The body does know what it needs.

If I slack off... I can tell almost immediately. Slight headache, a bit shaky.

BTW - was in the emergency room twice this week - with hubby and kidney stones. His are large and bad, and they are probably going to laser blast them. Way less invasive than 'regular' surgery.
lottagelady
BTW - Was in emerg twice this week - with hubby and kidney stones. His are large and bad and they are probably going to laser blast them. Way less invasive than 'regular' surgery.[/quote]

Hi Beatrice, hope he gets well soon - makes a change to be on the other side of the sheets though, I guess! xx
kennewickwoman

As a nurse, I don't often get across that losing fluid quickly without absorption in the intestine leads to dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. In addition to drinking plenty of fluids, there are lots of foods that can help bulk up the stool, and Imodium or a prescription antidiarrheal are a must. That's my 2 cents worth. The latter at least slows it down so nutrients are absorbed.