Eakin Stoma Wrap: Reviews and Experiences?

Replies
Views
AlexT

Does anyone use the Eakin stoma wrap instead of a true barrier ring? Just wondering how well they work and how easy they are to work around a stoma? I hate stretching my barrier ring out so much as it makes it thinner in the process and thought maybe these would work better with less stretching. ‍ I emailed for samples so I'll eventually give them a try.

SallyK

I never heard of them. Post a review once you try them.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,674 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Alex never heard as well.... Please let us know the comparison of them both... As you know, I'm a Varrier ring girl and agree the thickness changes with the stretch... Smile on

xnine

Do not know what you are talking about. Post a pic when you get them. I never liked stretching out my rings either. I found one that was sized to fit but did not last that long. I now use a Salts ring that is bigger, I just fold a bit over then flatten it and cut off the excess and I am good for 10+ days.

AlexT

Here's a stock photo, says they're 85mm....

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Hi Alex,

Are you talking about Eakin seals? If so, I use the Eakin Slim Seals around my stoma. It helps to strengthen my barrier opening, helps with uneven skin, and keeps my barrier on much longer. They can be warmed up in your hand and molded to fit around your stoma on your skin, or I personally like to stick it to the barrier around the hole I make and then stick it to my skin.

xnine

85 mm, that is huge.

AlexT
Reply to xnine

I think that refers to the length of the wrap. ‍

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

You can see in the picture I posted that it's basically a barrier ring but open. I would think it would make it much easier to fit around your stoma and you wouldn't have to stretch it much.

xnine
Reply to AlexT

I guess you overlap it until you get the size you like. Just have to smooth it out on the joints.

HenryM

Okay, would someone please educate me re barrier rings?  I wear Hollister for years and just place their skin barrier over the stoma, then add the bag.  I've never used a barrier ring.  Are they just for folks with uneven skin?  With the Hollister skin barrier, I've never needed anything else and never had an issue.  But I see so many people refer to barrier rings and adhesive and other stuff I've never used since Hollister entered my life, I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

AlexT
Reply to HenryM

Henry, if you're not having issues, I wouldn't worry about it. My ostomy nurse said for as physical as my job is that the barrier ring would add extra strength to the seal, so I've always worn one. Do I need one? No idea, but the last place I wanna find out is riding a rail car at 20mph.

Earth Angel
Reply to Anonymous

I use the Eakin Slims too and also mold it to the barrier, not my stoma. I then use a hairdryer to heat everything up after it's all applied to adhere to the skin. I haven't had a leak ever since I used this method.

NOLA Lady

I did not care for the Eakin seal; it gets gummy and breaks down fast. I changed to the Coloplast Protective Seal (not the moldable seal, those suck). It comes in two thicknesses and many different size openings. I always open the ring, not stretching but breaking it open so instead of an O, it's a C shape. I then wrap it around and overlap the edge, pressing the edges into each other. I then put my wafer on and with my pointer fingers, press down to make sure the wafer and ring make good contact and there is no space around the stoma. I use a Hollister wafer and bag but love the Coloplast Protective Ring. I get 6 solid days and have never had a leak in 3 years. You can call Coloplast and ask for samples.

NOLA Lady
Reply to HenryM

Think of a barrier ring as a sticky gasket. It sticks to the skin and wafer, and also, since it's soft, you can snug it up against your stoma. For me, it stops micro leaks and I do not feel the hard rim of the wafer against my stoma. Since stomas swell tiny bits as they move stuff out, the soft ring flexes as the stoma moves and swells. It's like wrapping your stoma with a flat ring of plumber's putty.

w30bob
Reply to HenryM

Henry... you're a lucky man if you don't need a ring! If I were you, I'd just forget you even heard about 'em and ignore any conversations about it... and get on with gettin' on... because it's just one more ostomy accessory you don't need. You lucky devil, you. Simply put, it's just the next step in the product line to prevent leaks under your barrier. When they give you your ostomy in the hospital, they typically don't put a ring on unless your skin is uneven or has folds. But if you experience a leak, it's the next step to try to prevent it. As said, it's just a sticky thick gasket that gives a better seal between your stoma and the ID of your barrier. It's basically a thicker pliable version of the adhesive paste that folks use to fill in dips and gaps. For colostomates, with dry formed stool, I doubt they'd ever need one unless their skin is uneven... but for those with a more liquid or all liquid output... it's a godsend. Of course, they come in all sizes and thicknesses, as you've read. So it's just another (rather popular) tool in the ostomate's toolbox to keep a shitbag stuck on and leak-free... but a lot of us need them.

;O)

Bob

Immarsh

I switched to the moldable Convatec / Covex wafer years ago, and that worked great... but the bottom of my stoma pulled "in" along with my belly creating a bit of a "depression. First, I used Stomahesive paste, but it got messy. Started to use pieces of the Eakin seal, cutting them in half, to go under my stoma..... Because they mold. When pressed, I could even out the seal with the regular wafer... These days, I'm experimenting with using the whole Eakin seal (slim) and molding the extra to the flatness of the upper part of the regular wafer.. Have no desire to go through surgery to reset my stoma...... My belly is a scarred roadmap.. This is like "paving" the imperfections.. Great product if you need a "filler".. If you don't "need it"... great... But it's good to know what's available... Marsh

Maried

It is a gasket for your stoma. It prevents leaks, especially if your stoma is kind of short and retracts sometimes or if you wear tight or fitted pants, dresses, swimsuit, or skirts.