Peristomal Skin Issue

In this discussion
Replies
Views
tulli
Hello!

My 18-month-old daughter has an ulcer/boil sort of thing on her peristomal skin since last one month. Initially, there were three, but now only one is left which is not ready to go. I have tried all known methods to me like a change of ileostomy product, Stoma powder, stripe pastes, barrier rings, duo-derm / comfeel in combination with a wafer. But the problem stays on. I have consulted the pediatric surgeon of her, and he says the only solution is to stop leakage from her ileostomy. I haven't sought guidance from any dermatologist yet. Can anyone please give me any guidance on this matter.

Regards

Tulli
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

three
Hi Tulli,

I cannot even begin to imagine how you must feel after trying so many things and still not seeing your baby's skin completely heal.

For the last 4 years, my daughter has had a very difficult time with her peristomal skin because she has a recessed stoma and a short transit time after losing 80 cm of small intestine. She has found that Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film (from 3M in a spray bottle or individual wipes) is a product that protects her raw skin a little but not completely; however, one ostomy nurse warned me that it can decrease the ability of the flange to adhere to the areas covered with the film, so you may need to experiment with putting a little in one area and seeing if the flange adheres differently in that spot.

As far as helping the flange adhere better to your daughter's skin, there are two things I can suggest that work for me; however, I only have a colostomy which is much easier to manage because the output is thicker and less acidic on the skin:

1) Before applying the flange, warm the adhesive and the skin with a blow dryer.

2) Before applying the flange, make sure your daughter's body is in a position that stretches the peristomal skin to ensure better adhesion later when she moves around and stretches after the flange is applied.

Those are the only things I can suggest other than entering "Peristomal Skin Care" in the "Search Forum" box near the top left corner of this web page and seeing if you can find any helpful suggestions in some of the other posts.

Best Wishes for You and your Daughter,
Three
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Does she use a stomahesive wafer? She may be cutting the opening for the stoma too large, and as a consequence, too much skin around the stoma is being exposed to the discharge/waste. Check the stoma size carefully before cutting the opening in the wafer.

Past Member
HI Mercutio...I can imagine how frustrating this issue is for you especially with a little one that no doubt likes to pick at anything causing her distress( especially itching)... first off she may have some allergy to the chemicals in the adhesives including the Cavilon barrier product. maybe get opnions from a couple of stoma nurses... often times they get to deal with this issue on a wider population basis than Dr.'s. What I know to be true is to minimise leakage the hole in the wafer must be cut to fit VERY close to the stoma with no more than a 1 MM gap(less is best )... In prepartiing the wafer I take about 2.5 inches of paste, role it between my palms and then snake iit around the hole. Personally I think this step is very important to reducing leaks. Why ... well becuase the bead of paste is then round...when it is pressed between the skin and wafer it has a reasoanble chance of speading flat and minimizing cavities.

My routine is to clean the skin with baby wipes... I never use soap... just commercial baby wipes... spray the entire area with the Cavilion barrier... wait 30 seconds then place the wafer over the stoma... I then go around the area just adjacent to the a stoma with my little finger to force some paste around the stoma ie. to fill any gap thus reducing the probility of leakage .... so in essence you get two barriers...one by reducing the chance of liquid seeping around the stoma, and underneath the past, which should hold the liquid back from the skin... so with the wafer inplace ( and a bag attached ) I pull on a pair of pants which traps heat which in turn smooths out the trapped paste and hopefully creates a seal. I disagree with the nurse who said to place the Cavilon in spots...it should be used over the entire area...moisture is the biggest enemy of wafer glue, so when my wafer peels abit I stick it down with 3M Transpore tape ( I find this very good and have tried lighter weight product but was not satisfied ) OR a breathable material called HYPAFIX or MEFIX . It comes in 4 in. roles and is called a 'dressing retension sheet'...it can be purchased from the pharmacy... following these procedures the wafer usually lasts 5 to 7 days... its just that you have to keep the edges from peeling back, do your best to make a smooth seal around the stoma( both around and under the wafer,) and keep in mind the humidity would be high in your area so the baby will sweat and the moisture will compromise the glue on the wafer... hope this helps.. if you have any questions...please ask
lexus1
Hi, I have very sensitive skin, especially around my stoma (I have an ileostomy with a very short intestine, which means more stomach acid). I use "Stoma Care" brand 'natural aloe-based skin care wipes' that are covered by Medicare. You get 50 in a box. I too have issues with "blisters" that I think are from the stomach acid leaking under the wafer. My changing routine is: wipe the area with "Safe-n-Simple" 'peri-Stoma wipes'. Then I use an alcohol pad to remove adhesive from the outer tape...don't get that near the stoma! Next, I use the aloe stoma care wipe just around the stoma, blot gently with t.p., and follow that with a "Safe-n-Simple" 'skin barrier wipe'. After this, I run a bead of paste around the hole in the wafer and place it over the stoma. It is important to check the fit of the hole around the stoma; not too big (leakage) yet it can't be tight due to the movement of the stoma. All of these supplies are covered by Medicare and available through any supplier. I hope any of this is of some use. Those blisters do burn and itch. Take care, Lex.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
zanzi1
Hope this helps.

Ask the doctor for an RX for Topicort Gel (only the gel) also known as Desoximetasone Gel USP, 0.05.

I've had an ileostomy for 36 years and have had very few problems, but when this skin issue came up it was awful. After consulting many 'experts' I was lucky enough to be referred to a community nurse and she prescribed this and I've never had another problem.

Good luck!
zanzi1

PS - Don't change the flange too often - it causes problems with the skin. Wash gently with cool water, dry, and then put on the gel. Just make sure that you don't put the gel on open wounds as it could burn. Once everything heals, she shouldn't have a problem.

Ann
Past Member

Hi Scotiaman, but I think you mean Tulli. I responded to Tulli as you did.

Past Member

Hi there... you're right.. I messed up, I was responding to Tullie... or for anyone that may find the comments helpful... thanks to those who share their 'how-to's', learning to improve our circumstances is what the site is all about... Have a great weekend