Stoma Revision

Replies
Views
ostomygirl
For years I suffered with a crooked stoma. At first, I thought it was just me not being able to apply my wafer. However, over the years my stoma hasn't changed and my leakage problems still persist. A few years ago, I went to my original surgeon to see if he would help by fixing my stoma. He flatly refused!!! He told me that he gave me a "perfect stoma" and he wasn't gonna do nothing about it. So I continued to live with the leakage problems and my skin breaking down until I couldn't take it anymore. I found a new surgeon and asked him to help. He agreed that I shouldn't have to live with a crooked stoma and so my surgery is set. My problem now is, I'm getting really nervous about the upcoming surgery. This will be my 5th surgery in 6 years and for some reason, I'm really nervous about this surgery. Is this normal? Has anyone else had the same thing done? I know this will solve my problems but I just don't understand why I'm nervous about this particular surgery. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I think I need someone to talk to about it... Thanks, for any help on this matter.
PJT
It was a long time ago Ostomygirl, but I did have a stoma revision once. I was so sick at the time of my original ostomy surgery that the surgeon had trouble creating a perfect stoma with the swollen ileum. A few years later the opening started to get tight so I had a revision done. As I recall, it was not too big of a deal...nothing like the original surgery.

Good luck!

PJT
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady
Hi there - I am coming up to my 20th anaesthetic since 2001, so I know exactly where you are at!

I had decided 2 years ago that I was finished with surgery, didn't want any more and that I would accept my lot - then my surgeon sprung upon me that I needed to have some more, to repair my massive hernia and relocate my stoma to the other side before I needed it in an emergency situation .... I am due to have a fistula repair on 15th September, the result of which will determine my next surgery - a hernia repair and either a reversal or a relocation of a permanent stoma ... untiil now it just hasn't bothered me going in for surgery, but this time I am sh****g bricks for some reason! Full story is in my blog, but it is pretty long! Think it is probably because I am at the end of my particular road, dunno???

Take care, Rach xxx
mooza
It would be abnormal not to be nervous i have had 8 surgerys and everone of them i was scared i have aswell had my stoma moved to the otherside and a repair to get a better stoma i wasnt having probs but i wanted to use a flat pouch not shallow convex maybe u should give that a go if you need to good luck oh i just read in our ostomy magazine and have heard of a k pouch for crohn's patients its done more in the U.S than in australia if i could go through more surgery i maybe would give it a try ..good luck darl mooza
Pinky
I feel like these "elective" type surgeries are more nerve-wracking than the emergency or life-threatening condition ones. I remember having my most severe anxiety attack just the days and weeks prior to the takedown I had with my temporary colostomy in 2003!

We'll all be thinking about you and sending good vibes your way, ostomygirl! ;

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
lexus1
best wishes hon, keep in touch. I hope this repair is the answer for you, a stoma shouldnt take over everythingif it does, then it needs fixing. Shame on your old doc!
dee05
Hi there
I just had surgery and my stoma is oval shaped I tend to have minor problems with the appliance can you tell me or explain to me what you mean by crooked?
Thanks Dee