Just had colostomy converted to ileostomy

Replies
Views
Maryland Gal
Hey, it's Maryland Gal. I had my surgery on July 13th. The surgery went well. It took 6 hours because I had so many adhesions. My surgeon was able to bring the small bowel through the same hole.
I had many other complications that kept me in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks. I had pleurisy, a lower collapsed lung. Then I found out I had a blood clot in my leg and was put on blood thinners. Well, doctors did not know nor did I know that I had ulcers. The first one I was put in the ICU and nearly bled out and needed 5 units of blood, and they put a clamp on it. I stopped the blood thinners, but then I had more bleeding and ended up in the ICU 2 more times. I am finally home and was doing okay. There is some breakdown around the stoma. Today, I started vomiting and I have been feeling very weak and dizzy. The home nurses have been great, and they said my blood pressure was dropping too low from lying to sitting and I was very dehydrated. My doctors wanted me back in the hospital. I fought for home I.V. hydration, and they gave me a day to see if I am doing better. I hope I get better; I do not want to go back to the hospital.
For all those who responded to my original post about the surgery, thanks so much.
C Cogan

Hello: I live in Rockville, Maryland and hope that we can meet some day. Best of luck with your somewhat complicated recovery. In some ways they can do a lot more for you in the hospital. Good luck and God bless. CSC

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pinky

Hi Maryland Gal - thanks for updating us. Sounds like you have had a really rough time of it. We will all be sending good vibes your way...hoping you can stay home if you prefer, but it sure is hot all over the country and you gotta do what's best to stay hydrated. Hoping you'll turn the corner soon! Pam