Interested in meeting or talking to: Female

I am a 34-year-old Male

I am a 57-year-old Male
Meet and talk to 20,086 OstoMates

Outside Activities

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:01 am
I live in Florida and before I had my ileostomy I use to be great at swimming and kayaking.  Now I shy away from it because I'm wondering how I will empty my pouch if I am kayaking for a couple of hours or swimming and getting all equipment wet; will it irritate my skin.  I know after I take a shower I blow dry my flange and pouch but what will happen if I'm sitting with it wet on the beach for a couple of hours.  Would like to hear from someone who can relate and help me with this situation.  much appreciated ---
Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:11 am
Have no fear ... go get wet.  I spend hours every week in a mineral hot springs ... play water volleyball two or three times and for an hour or so at a time and have never had a problem.  My system normally empties in the mid morning so i wait till that has happened before going in the water.   I wear the elastic belt with my holister equipment and also a swim wrap that also holds the bag close and flat profiled ... (since I go to a clothing optional hot springs).  Never had a leak ... if i do start to pass something I just get out and head for the restrooms.  Like you if I don't change everything during a shower, I use the hair dryer too.  I believe that getting the flange wet it tends to stick better for at least another day after.  Soooo.... stop worrying and go get wet
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:58 am
I now go swimming daily.  I use Cymed one piece drainable pouches.  The micro skin adhesive has never let go.  And I don't add anything extra like tape.  There's no place to attach a belt.

When I was using Hollister, I wasn't as successful going swimming.  I used the belt AND the pink tape and still had sections loose when I got home.

I can't see that you'll have any more problems than someone with no ostomy that needs to find a bathroom at the beach or in the kayak.  Just pack an extra bag and throw away wipes in a ziploc bag in the kayak to keep fresh supplies dry and put used materials until you get back to civilization.  

I can't decide if you'd be better off with a drainable pouch or a closed pouch, one piece or two piece for extended kayaking trips.  I think I'd stick with my one-piece drainable if I thought I could handle the kayaking again.  I don't think I could get out of a kayak anymore.  I have trouble standing up since radiation and chemo. But I don't think the bag would be a problelm, speaking as a former camper.

Go for it, and take your sense of humor along with you!!
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.