Electrical Shock Leads to Ileostomy Complications

Replies
Views
bikerboy
Just when you think you've done it all, this comes along. A week ago Thursday, I was working in my shop cutting some steel with a plasma machine and I got shocked with 440 volts. It's not new, I've been shocked many times in 15 years, it's a welder's life. But the next day, I felt a little sore around my ileostomy. So I took my wafer off and there was a hole the size of my pinky and 1/4 inch deep, and of course bleeding. I packed it with some gauze and cream from my kit, put on a new wafer, and went back to my regular day. On Monday, I took it off and found the hole about healed and put some more gauze, tape, and a wafer. But today, when I took the wafer off, the skin came off around the stoma and I bled quite a bit. So I went to the local naval hospital with my ostomy hanging out in a plastic dishpan (I was driving my truck, not the bike). I walked into the ER and was seen 2 hours later. I like showing my ileo off anyway. The doc thought it looked like an electrical burn and I told him my story. It's all black and blue and burst blood vessels. But the hole is completely healed and I'm taking a few days off for the skin to heal around the ileo. I'll try to drink liquids only and avoid eating till Monday. Walk around with my dishpan. So for any metal workers out there, be careful, you might get a lightning bolt shot out your arse.
Bikerboy Greg
celtic

I'm laughing... I know I shouldn't, but I do love your dry sense of humor... I hope all has healed and you are back to normal.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

cagabolsa

Even if you got your arse pointing in another direction hahahahahaha

I hate electric shocks, and I would not like to see my ileostomy fried and have to cover it with a saucepan.

This is really shocking. Be careful, man! Get well soon.

lottagelady
Ha! Only you could make that funny! Keep on trucking, Greg.....

Rach xxxx
Past Member

Wow! In all my time working as a nurse, I haven't heard of anything like that! That was a real shocker!!! LMAO.... Honestly, I hope you're feeling better and thanks for sharing with us! Traci40xoxox

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
bikerboy

I went to work today and feel fine. I even went back to welding today. I heal very quickly but I never learn from my mistakes. Thank you all and I hope to enjoy many years of shock therapy. LOL

gutenberg
Good thing it came out your front bum instead of the rear, now you can still ride and that in itself would be great therapy, keep on keeping on, Ed
Primeboy
Biker,
Your admonition for welders to "be careful, you might get a lightning bolt shot out your arse" is very well taken. It happily reminded me of a poem we learned as kids growing up in Beantown which went something like this:

There was a young man from Boston, Mass
Whose balls were made out of brass.
When they clang together,
they played "Stormy Weather"
and lightning shot out of his ass.

Thanks for the memories. Glad you are feeling well.
Prime
Immarsh

Must have scared the "shit" out of you! You're so well-adjusted, you just take it all in stride. Good for you! Stay safe.

Past Member

You didn't happen to get any superpowers?