Need help with post-colostomy bladder issues

Replies
Views
Legionbarb

I had a colostomy one year ago, when I came home things started to happen.
I go to the bathroom to pass water, then later I notice wetness, to my horror I am wet.
The problem hasn't stopped, the ultrasound was clear??
I don't understand any of this, has anyone else experienced the same, can someone help me to understand?
Legionbarb

Past Member

I wish I could help, but I've never experienced anything like that. I'm sure someone on this site has and will know where to start to fix the problem. You hang in there, okay?
Beg

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SheliaBaby

Is it possible your muscles are just so weakened that some urine is just "escaping" without you knowing it? I have heard of this happening often as women get older after having kids, etc...
Certainly a colostomy would weaken the same muscles. Always hear the commercial about the lady afraid to sneeze... would ask my doctor.

Good luck, Sheila

scotiaman

Hi...can't say I would know much... if anything about this issue...but the circumstance does sound like it had to do with muscle control... which would be related to both conscious and autonomic nerve systems...have you gone over your surgery report with your GP to see if there is any mention of nerve tissue issues associated with your surgery. All the best, Scotiaman

Beans_Momma322

I have had similar problems. I was told that it was partially medicine causing muscle weakness and also because of the change in water absorption after an ostomy. I haven't gotten any concrete answers, only educated guesses... I wish I could be of more help.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Immarsh
Hi,

I had my surgery a long time ago, so I don't know if this will help. I had my rectum removed with my 3rd procedure, and ended up with nerve damage to the bladder. I can't feel if I have to urinate. But that's more than 45 years ago, and I've managed fine. I go by the clock, much like a baby...every 4 hours or so. But sometimes, I've felt "wet", and realized that I had a little leakage....not much, but enough to feel it. I think I sometimes have "spasms, that I can't feel, and so "dribble". I don't pay much attention to it, and sometimes use a small pad, just in case. If you had the rectum removed, it can cause trauma to the area, and just the surgery in general, could do the same. Give it some time, but keep those pads handy. It's a feeling of security. Good luck.