Flowassist: A Solution for Side-Facing Stoma Leak Prevention

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi gang,

Some time back someone was asking how to prevent their output from getting under their barrier or barrier ring because their stoma was flush and output shot out to the side. I replied there was a device that acted as a spout to direct output away from the skin/barrier junction if their stoma was like that... but couldn't remember the name of the product. I just ran across it online. So here it is, and I'm sure there are others making similar things. This brand's product is called Flowassist. I haven't actually tried it, so can't comment on how effective it is, but maybe others have tried it. As usual, I'm sure everyone's mileage will vary. Enjoy!

;o)

https://ostoform.com/

Bill

Thank you Bob for drawing this to our attention. 
A similar alternative is available from Salts Healthcare called a Dermacol stoma collar, which provides an all-round protection and guidance for stoma output ( www.salts.co.uk).
I have been using them for a few weeks now since my stoma prolapsed and caused the wafer to cut right through the bottom half of my stoma. The stoma collars have provided the protection to stop it happening again and to help with the healing process.

Out of necessity, I have had to change my DIY appliances and my routine to accommodate the new circumstances.
Best wishes

Bill  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

Maybe good info for some... I tried it a few times with not much luck...jb

IGGIE
Reply to Bill

This is the product I use and it's perfect as long as you order the right size. I order the 29mm and it fits perfectly and guides the flow forward with no chance of a leak. I also put a little paste around the base of the seal as extra protection. Leak-proof. Regards, IGGIE

Bill
Reply to IGGIE

Hello IGGIE.

Yes! the size is important. However, I asked for the wrong size (sample) because my stoma prolapsed, swelled and distorted. The Salts people were very helpful and sent me an alternative size which was much better and is the one I am currently using. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi all, does the spout come attached to the ring or is it a separate piece? Also, is it soft enough not to poke a hole in the pouch?

Bill
Reply to ron in mich

Hello Ron.

Yes, the stoma guard is attached to its own flange. It is very soft yet seemingly strong material - there is no way that it would poke a hole in the pouch. I just sent away for samples and they sent me two different sizes to try. Unfortunately, one is just too big and the other just too small. However, the bigger one seems to do the trick for me and has helped with healing a big gash in my stoma caused by it touching a flange when the stoma prolapsed recently. 

These things are often worth a try, if only to know more precisely what we are dealing with.

Best wishes

Bill 

maybeitsnot2late
Reply to Bill

My ostomy nurse recommended the Dermacol product and I tried it. It didn't work for me because I have an extremely oval-shaped stoma and the collar by Dermacol is only available for round-shaped stomas. I've also gained lots of weight since my operation in 1981, so I have lots of issues lately. My hernia belt had to be custom-made and it is still uncomfortable to wear. My stomach started to sag because of weight gain caused by age (I'm 63 now), metabolic issues (thyroid condition), and a lack of discipline on my part when it came to eating a healthy diet. I was 21 when I had my large intestine totally removed. Back then, I had just turned 21 and I had a flat belly. Now, I'm obese and my stoma touches the top of my leg when I lean forward slightly because of the fat rolls sagging. Even if I were to lose the weight, I would still have the loose sagging skin. I'm not sure what the solution is for this type of problem.

Bill
Reply to maybeitsnot2late

Hello maybeitsnot2late.
Sorry to hear about your problems. I am not familiar with solutions to the obesity problem, but I think if I had an oval stoma as you describe I would make up a collar to fit it more precisely.
I have made quite a few devices to fit my own stoma and some of them might be adaptable for oval stomas.  It's really about finding the right materials and cutting the right shapes. A craft 'modeller' might be able to help with this. Alternatively, if there are any people who are interested in making prosthetics in your area, then they would be ideal. 
I wish you luck with your explorations.
Best wishes

Bill