Seeking Advice on Overcoming Ileostomy Reversal Complications

Replies
Views
Berts dad

Three years ago, I had a perforated bowel due to undiagnosed diverticulitis and had a quite successful colostomy. I decided to have a reversal, but COVID meant a long wait with theaters closed, etc. Four weeks ago, the reversal was attempted, but because the large intestine had to be joined very low, it meant a high risk for leakage, so they have given me a temporary ileostomy to give the bowel time to heal. I have quite a few issues (losing weight, pain around the stoma, feeling of pressure in the rectum) and would love to hear from anyone else who has overcome these problems. I would also love to hear about successful ileostomy reversals, which I am hoping to have within the next 6-12 months. I am otherwise a healthy and fit 75-year-old. Thanks for listening.

IGGIE

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,627 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Berts dad
Reply to IGGIE

Actually in Gippsland but had surgery at the Alfred.

IGGIE
Reply to Berts dad

Hi Bert, I'm in Frankston and have a very good surgeon in Mornington, so if you're having problems and thinking of a change of surgeon, let me know. Regards, Iggie

Neilioz
Reply to Berts dad

How does the ileostomy compare to the colostomy? I might consider having the same procedure as you. The rejoin is very low down, and I get disuse proctitis in my short rectal stump, which is quite debilitating when it flares up.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister