1 Week Post Ileostomy Reversal: Navigating the Learning Curve

Replies
Views
krkb01

Well gang, I am now 1 week post ileostomy reversal. The struggle is real sometimes. The learning curve on how to poop again is a big one. I didn't think it would be that difficult for my colon to remember, but it is. Lol, it's getting better. The first day I started to poop (about 4 days after) it was 18x that day! And the consistency of chocolate pudding. It's better at this point, more solid, less frequent, and urgency is not as high as previous days. The worst of it is the pain from the surgical site, it is a hole in my abdomen. I get that it'll take a few weeks before that pain will stop. But I'm glad that my bowel movements are regulating.

Beth22

I am happy to hear it, and yes, the old ostomy hole will heal.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose

Glad to hear you are progressing well. How much colon do you have left?

Daniel

AlexT

Time heals everything.

7dragonflies.hm

Oh, that's awesome! I'm happy you're progressing along. I guess it's the one day at a time thing...seems to be our motto here. I hope you continue to improve quickly. Keep us posted, please.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Daughter

As you continue to recover from surgery, sending you positive thoughts and prayers!! Hope each day gets better than the previous day.

Axl

Good for you 👍

krkb01
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I only lost 6 cm of lower colon. And around 20% of my rectum was taken.

Renfromtexas

I'm about 9 months into my reversal and still no solid poops.. Still better than the ostomy.. LOL