Omeprazole and Ileostomy!

Replies
Views
M32023
Jan 07, 2024 6:23 pm

Hello, does anyone here with an ileostomy take omeprazole? I know the gel caps have coated beads that just come out in the bag. Or any other PPI that will be absorbed with an ileo? Non-enteric coated or? Thanks all.

Kirstickle
Jan 07, 2024 10:21 pm

I take Lansoprazole. They are capsules, but they seem to be digested just fine 🙂

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,858 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Panko
Jan 07, 2024 10:22 pm

I stopped taking omeprazole years ago due to side effects and found out from a nurse if you prop your headboard end of the bed up with 2 x 4” house bricks to elevate at a slight angle, you won't get acid reflux coming back up your windpipe at night. Also, I found Actazin tablets are more beneficial too! 😊

w30bob
Jan 07, 2024 11:54 pm

Hi M,

Omeprazole also comes in an immediate-release oral suspension (liquid) form, and all three PPIs (Omeprazole, Esomeprazole, and Pantoprazole) are also available in powder packet form you just mix with water and drink. I don't know if these are OTC or need a prescription, and I don't know the brand names. I'd do some digging for you but have to head out for a bit. I'm sure a call to your pharmacy tomorrow would get you the info you need. I assume you're taking a PPI to slow your motility rather than for acid reflux.

;O)

Jayne
Jan 08, 2024 1:50 am

Hello M32023

I have an ileostomy, and if I have an imbalance in my diet or eat really late, i.e., just before sleeping, then I do take a couple of 20mg Omeprazole Gastro-resistant capsules, hard. HOWEVER, usually, although prone to acid reflux, I can totally eliminate AR by balanced eating. I rarely have dinner before 7:30 - 8:00 pm and am usually prone around midnight, so not needing the six hours clear of food either as some do.

I would urge you to look at your diet rather than a chemical fix if at all possible.

BW

Jayne

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
M32023
Jan 08, 2024 4:12 am
Reply to Jayne

Yeah, I completely would if able, and it's not even for acid reflux. It's due to too much acid in Brunner's glands, so in the second part of the duodenum, it's a bummer but the best treatment. Brunner's gland hypoplasia showed on biopsy from endoscopy. No tumors or polyps, just enlarged from too much acid.

Jayne
Jan 08, 2024 4:53 am
Reply to M32023

Ahh, sorry to hear this - rather a crass suggestion on my part - understand your reason for inquiry now - your posted reply info will inform - which in turn may elicit a response from others who may be au fait with your condition.

Hope others come forward with thoughts for you - and 2024 is a good year.

Best of luck.

Jayne

M32023
Jan 09, 2024 3:25 am
Reply to Jayne

Thanks much, and likewise 😊

whackjob74
Jan 11, 2024 4:22 pm

Hi,

I take Dexilant, which is in the same family of drugs. I was on the time-release capsules prior to my ileostomy, and since I had a full prescription still, my doctor said to see how it went. I have not had any issues with the capsules not being digested or coming out in my bag. I am still taking them and also have no issues with acid reflux, so they are still doing what they are supposed to.

Hope this helps!

Hisbiscus
Jan 12, 2024 10:59 am

I take the prescription but a small dose at 20 mg per day. No issues really.

Ajs84
Feb 22, 2024 9:00 pm
Reply to Panko

Hi, I've been taking omeprazole for over 4 years. What side effects did you experience? Is there a natural alternative?

w30bob
Feb 23, 2024 4:05 am
Reply to whackjob74

Ok... you've got the best username on here! I'm still LMAO! You go, girl!

;O)

w30bob
Feb 23, 2024 4:09 am
Reply to Ajs84

Hi Ajs,

Here you go... from the ol' innerweb;

The long-term use of PPIs is associated with some serious and rare adverse effects including renal diseases (acute interstitial nephritis, acute kidney injury, chronic kidney disease, end-stage renal disease), cardiovascular disease (myocardial infarction, stroke), hepatic disease (hepatocellular carcinoma), fractures, infections (Clostridioides difficile infection, community-acquired pneumonia, COVID-19), micronutrient deficiencies (hypomagnesemia, anemia, vitamin B12 deficiency, hypocalcemia), dementia, and gastric cancer.

;O)