Hip surgery and ileostomy

Replies
Views
Demi

I am having hip surgery on my left hip. How do you manage changing your pouch etc. within an ileostomy

Riva

I have had  two hip replacements.   You will be just fine.   Ask away any specific questions you may need answered.   Best of luck. .

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,610 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CascadianAaron

I had a double hip replacement in 2014, 2.5 years after getting an ostomy. This was caused by all the high doses of Prednesone I was given while battling UC. I had no issues with changing my pouch though emptying was a little more difficult early on as getting down to toilet level was hard.

Demi
Reply to Riva

I use pouches that you can empty, because have to empty them multiple times during the day. I'm not sure how I will maneuver this when I can't bend more than 90 inches from my waist. Do I have to get pouches that are closed and you just dispose of them every time, they are full? I would probably go through 8 to 10 a day! And a personal note, I usually sit backwards on the toilet seat, which makes emptying my pouch. Much much easier. I would appreciate an answer to this question. 

Riva
Reply to Demi

As to emptying after the surgery , one suggestion would be to try standing to empty rather than a sitting position and have some tissue paper in the toilet to prevent splashing .  You will not run out of pouches .  Of course , remember you will be having physical therapy which is key to getting  you back to your old self again .   You’ve got this 💪💪🌈

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE

G-Day Demi, I also sit facing the wall on the toilet and yes it is easier. I have added a photo of the layout in my toilet that makes it easy to reach everything you need. I also have had both hips replaced and I have an Ileostomy. Are you married or do you have someone that could help you if needed. Best to try for yourself thou. Good luck.   Regards IGGIE