Rectal mucus build up

Replies
Views
Leigh-jane

Does anyone have any miracle ideas on passing mucus when your body doesn't eject it naturally and you can't use enemas, suppositories or irrigation?

The reason for my ileostomy was damage to my bottom end so my new problem is not being able to pass what's building up. I don't have colitis or anything like that so I gather I might not produce mucus in large quantities (always been constipated) but what I am producing is just sitting there.

In UK, urgent referral back to surgeon about this but no plans to see me any time soon. Stoma nurse just says to go to a&e if I get into a mess while I'm waiting for an appointment.

I've read about people using strong laxatives to clear out the colon despite having an ileostomy but would that work, now they are separated? I know laxatives aren't advised with a stoma but this mucus is a bigger problem.

I know mucus is normal, that's not my concern. Just don't know how to avoid a huge problem forming. Had my ileostomy since the summer so fairly new really.

Thank you 

warrior

Good morning ...

I understand your situation is being a newly ostimate and you also have a  part of your colon left ...

you said  you're always constipated or you have problems with constipation ..

I would say listen to your stoma nurse before something happens and get that checked.. I'm not an expert on that because I don't have a large intestine anymore but if you're not passing anything mucus or poop you have a bigger problem than you know ..

so I would definitely get over to the emergency room. start from there cause if u are plugged up down there, u could blow the intestine with back pressure. don't

fool around with this condition.

let us know what u decide.

good luck. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22

Hi there,

So I actually can't pass mucus either . Reason for my Ileostomy was very severe pelvic floor dysfunction. So my back end won't let me expell anything it never has. If you haven't made an appt with your doctor I would so you can take to them about What to do in your situation and yes i would go like your stoma nurse said if it gets bad and have it checked out. I had to have my rectum removed kept my anus for reasons but removed my rectum. Is yours from the pelvic floor muscles or other damage to your back end ?

Dharms

Hi

Walk into the nearest A&E and get yourself checked!

It's not worth taking the risk - it will just build up.

Best of luck!

Dharms

Leigh-jane

Thanks. Just to clarify, my ileostomy works perfectly so no trouble there. Also, I have passed mucus plugs since I got my ileostomy in the summer but these were with the help of enemas which are painful. I'm just asking for anything that might stimulate my lower bowel that I could take orally.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
warrior

u have a good point about trying orals to stimulate bowel..but..taking orals would stimulate the stoma- small colon since the large is disconnected,

correct? . and i don't no of anything other than those enemas would help. u need to worry abt blockage and boom. !!!

pls consult at nearest hospital. bring someone with u in case yur in pain by then. 

MBT

Stoma nurse here. Oral meds will not target the residual colon and oral laxatives can dangerously dehydrate ileostomates. You can talk to the A&E team about glycerin suppositories which is the treatment for mucous build up in the colon stump. 

Hisbiscus

Hi, I had the same issue  and they used to have me use an enema type when it got too bad. Fleet i do believe but ask your doc as everyome situations different. This was with my temporary loop ostomy. Prior to the temp loop ostsomy I had severe constipation with the same rectal pressure so after the ostomy it was now hardened mucous balls. Upon a coloniscopy with my loop ostomy in place they had to abort the procedure due to that my whole colon was filled with these hardened mucous balls and the doc says he tried cleaning them out but there were so many he could not get them all. Said my colon is not working and suggested i get it out so I did go back to colorectal surgeon and we took it along with the rectum out and created an end ileostomy. There is no going back. No chance for reversal  for me but I was in so much pain and was my only option.