Riding

Replies
Views
gilldove9

I bought a new horse in October last year then got the shock of my life to discover that I have stage 1 - 2 bowel cancer.  I couldn't believe it.  I was horseless for two years before I decided to take the plunge and get a new one.  Then this !  On one hand it was a good job I did a test and it was found but on the other, I felt like I'd been punched in the face both cheeks by God.  Does anyone here ride with a colostomy bag ? 

Rene

Good evening. I had an Ileostomy done in October 2021. Two years later, after healing and adjusting, I got back on my horse’s back to ride with my husband and back in the cart to drive my mini horses as well. It’s not much different, you have ridden before, you will ride again. Just pay attention to your bag needs. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,531 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello gilldove5.
Thank you for your post and thank you for the picture.
I am sorry to hear of your big 'C' diagnoses, which I presume led to your stoma.
With regards to riding, I can see no reason whatsoever, why you should not (eventually) be able to ride again touting a bag. With all physical activities, it pays to be steady and careful in your approach, as over exertion can lead to problems. 
I used to ride a lot until one of my friends lost his life when he was knocked off his horse by an overhanging branch. That was what put me off riding for the rest of my life. However, riding horses is not the only pleasure they give. 
I have always been in awe and inspired by the Shire Horses, which seem to have the sort of character and personality that I can relate to. Plus, with the initials 'SH' (which I also share), they inspired the rhyme below:

Best wishes

Bill

S.H. =^= SHIRE HORSE.

Taking an initial view
there is no difference 'twixt the two
and just beyond their form and frame
their spirits somehow seem the same.

Much of mankind might not aspire
to be mistook for the mighty Shire.
S.H. is one, who’s proud to be 
aligned with its identity.

Thoroughbreds of the working class
from the tip of their heads to the whole of their aft.
Reliant, consistent, stable and sound,
head in the sky, – feet firm on the ground.

What you see is what you get,
not fancy free, no etiquette.
Not fleet on feet, nor mastermind
just great to meet and rather kind.

A little out of place I fear
when dressed in over-pompous gear
but with a working harness on
none can shine like they have shone.

No prizes for racing, no prizes for speed
yet, workhorses work for as long as they need.
Though loving and gentle, and soft as can be
they’re best when they’re working for you and me.

No faddistic factions, no territory gain,
no pompous reactions , no fighting, or fame.
No unemployment , no gimme, gimme,
they work for enjoyment and that makes them free. 

Be Withers 1994

(p49 in: ‘Reflections’ 1998)

AlexT

Not on a regular basis but I was riding in December. Riding a horse has no affect on having an ostomy, or vice versa. Just make sure you’re all healed first. I miss Scotty 🐎, he was exciting to ride,  may need to go for another ride soon as I’m very good at it.  

bowsprit

No reason at all why you can't saddle that horse within a short time after recovery, how long depends on the individual and the nature of the surgery, but it shouldn't be very long in any case. You can carry the bag in the most comfortable position for you and make it well secured. A friend went home on the third day of open - heart surgery which is a pretty serious procedure, but I think we are a bit crazier and more reckless than folks who reside in more developed societies like yours. If you keep in touch and tell us when you are ready to ride there can be more tips for you from the many equestrians here. Best wishes. 

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
wcde

I ride my motorcycle.

Newbie Dana

I ride my bicycle. Does that count? (I was always horse-mad as a girl, but we never had any place to keep them, nor the wherewithall to properly care for them. But I named my first bike Seymour, because I always wanted to have a horse named Seymour.)

Redondo

I'm not an avid rider but I have ridden a few times and I have an ileostomy. I don't see that it would be a problem for me or someone with a colostomy.

bowsprit
Reply to wcde

Yes, but it doesn't kick or rear, though a mishap on it would do more damage than a fall from a horse. Many will be surprised to learn that falling from a donkey can be more hurtful than falling from a horse or camel. I think falling from a rearing bull would take top position, haven't ridden a bull, but I have been astride the other three. The ass throws you intentionally and it kicks and rears while doing so. The camel is a sedate animal most of the time and though you fall from a greater height it does not throw you violently.

Lins0808

I’ve had an ileostomy for 43 years and have no problems horseback riding. Like any sport, I make sure my bag is empty before I begin, but other than that no issues.

Once you are all healed from your surgery  hop back in the saddle, take it slow at first, and enjoy what you love! It’s the best medicine 😊

Pattyk

I used to be an avid rider, and then my horse passed away, and I stopped for a while. I’m signing up for some riding at a local area here soon. I think if you check your bag first also, maybe use a stealth bag for security should have a good time. It feels challenging, but I think I’m up for the challenge too. 

Bill

Hello gilldove9.
It just occurred to me that the greatest danger to an ostomate with regard to riding, would be lifting the saddle onto the horse.  It is that sort of movement with a weight that is likely to give you a hernia.
Best wishes

Bill

bowsprit
Reply to Newbie Dana

Nice name for a horse, how about Seymour Dancer. Some horses bear strange names. I won a decent amount recently on Ey up Its Maggie and the American bred Glasses Up. Then there was, MyExWifesAshes named by a lovelorn horse owner, and Foaling Around, also DoReMiFaSalaTido, a name that probably warrior would go for, and Odor in the Court which the long missing Henry M would like. Kind regards.

jedediahab
Reply to Rene

I ride horses. Just empty my bag before heading out and tuck it into my pants. I hate trotting/loping with it but walking and cantering are fine! Love your horse and have fun!

gilldove9
Reply to Rene

Thank you for your reply.  What about your surgery.  Mine is approaching fast and I'm really afraid I'm not going to wake up.  Did you feel like that ? 

jedediahab
Reply to Rene

I ride horses. Just empty my bag before heading out and tuck it into my pants. I hate trotting/loping with it but walking and cantering are fine! Love your horse and have fun!

jedediahab
Reply to gilldove9

You'll be fine! They have this to a fine science! Took a while to accept, then figure out, my Prada Bag but I'm so grateful to be free of pain! 

rlevineia

You need strong abs or you will suffer.  My Deere X600 hurts me.  I have to pay a guy to do my chores.