One piece or 2 piece

Replies
Views
whitinge73

Hi there so i was wondering what do you like best one piece bags or 2 piece. I like the 1 piece as i find it easier to use and it is not bulky under clothing. 

warrior

✌️ piece  drain-able works for me. gotta have that mounting plate with a belt and rotation from verticle to horizontal.... cant do that with one piece. 

this topic was recently addressed

in great depth. click on discussion forums. i think u will find  lotsa info there. 

to each their own bag though.

what works for one..may not for another. 🍻cheers.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,627 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

I like the 1 piece better,  everyone  is different  though.

AlexT

In Warrior’s spirit of using emojis…..🖕piece drainable for me. 🤭😁 

Kas

I use a 2 piece drainable Hollister.  I’ve tried others but this is what works for me

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
warrior
Reply to AlexT

love u maaaaan. 🤪

(seven hours later...)

wait a minute! unless i need glasses🤓 that aint the number one icon. you are using there buddy..😩..

you used 🖕  when this👆was correct.. very funny😤

JVM261

I was told that it’s better to use a two-piece with an ileostomy, but I don’t really understand why. I did try to use a one piece and it only lasted me a day and a half. I can go more days with a two piece. I do have one pieces for emergency if I have nothing else (which didn’t happen yet) because they are cheaper in my experience.

warrior
Reply to JVM261

that's interesting someone told u that for ileos..

i just decided to try a new device.

felt tied to a one piece. cant move it.. only sweet thing  abt a one piece.. its less bulky. hardly detected with the  right shirt on.

AlexT
Reply to JVM261

Why did the one piece only last a day and a half? The only advantage I see in 2 piece ones is it’s easier to see applying the wafer around your stoma, if a person has a tough time with that

w30bob
Reply to warrior

Uhhhh.............I think that was intentional! 

;O)

w30bob

Hi W,

Depends on a lot of factors.....like your activity level, type of ostomy, how long between barrier changes, if you have a dog with long nails......or a cat, etc.  I need a two piece so I can change my bag if needed without changing my barrier.  My output is more or less constant once I start eating, so doing a barrier change during the day is almost impossible.  So if i puncture the bag or snag it on something and need to replace it the two piece is the only way to go for me.  Plus I need the belt!  But everyone's situation is different, which is why they make both types.  There's no wrong answer........but I'm a two-piecer!

;O)

Bob 48

2 piece for me, easier to burp if needed and don't have to worry about pancaking. 2 piece a little bulkier but my stoma sticks out further than any bag system I've tried so that doesn't bother me much.

Ben38

I have an ileostomy I've always used 1 piece since the start over 30 years ago, 2 piece bags used to be a lot more bulky back then than they are now.

It's just a personal choice which one you prefer really and for people with colostomy's if they have sensitive skin and it tears easy 2 piece is kinder on there skin not having to pull the base plate of every time there bags full if there output isn't drainable 

IGGIE

Hollister two piece convex drainable. I have tried one peice but find the two piece as a lot more advantages like burping it, wearing it at an angle, having it held with support with a belt. I use the Hollister belt clip but cut off the belt material and refit it with the belt from the Coloplast belt. It is more comfortable around your waist and does not fold over.See photo. Regards IGGIE

aTraveler

2-piece for me. I prefer closed pouches because they are more flexible for me. I also use the adhesive coupling ones which eliminates the bulk associated with mechanical coupling. If using a 2-piece mechanical coupling soon after surgery, an accordion flange is better because it prevents having to press down on your stomach when attaching a pouch to your wafer.

TerryLT

I've tried both and it's one piece for me for sure.  I agree the application process can be easier with a two piece, but the cons outweigh the pros for me.  I used to get leaks around the seal, which is not supposed to happen, but does, especially if you have very loose or liquid output.

Terry

Hisbiscus
Reply to Bob 48

How does the 2 peice help with pancaking? Just curious.

Hisbiscus

I'm in a one peice. Stoma nurse put on a 2 peice hollister when I got my first stoma and I was driving home from the appointment leaking. Crying I called them and had to drive back. The ring thing popped off of the barrier I guess when I sat down in the car. It's been a one peice since. 

w30bob
Reply to Hisbiscus

The bag face is further away from the stoma because of the additional thickness of the two piece interlock.  That gives gravity a better chance to pull down any semi-solid output that would normally hit the wall of a 1 piece bag and just stay there.  If that makes sense.

;O)

w30bob
Reply to Hisbiscus

Hi Hi,

I can relate.  But in the defense of the two piece system I have to say I've only ever had a leak from the interlock when I didn't check the connection when I put it on and it wasn't fully seated all around.  I've never had one leak in 9 years when it was installed properly.  I can only speak for Hollister and Senura Mio Flip, but I would expect all designs are tested pretty well before being introduced to the population.  

;O)

JVM261
Reply to AlexT

Well I put a Hollister barrier ring underneath it and maybe I wasn’t supposed to do that? Like is it bad to mix brands of bag and barrier ring? It leaked. It’s a convatec that I had left over from the hospital. Love the closure of it, You can feel the Velcro closing so well. The other issue for me is that I did burp the bag and maybe when I put it back it didn’t stick as well? I have another one that I’m gonna try soon without the barrier ring.

AlexT
Reply to JVM261

You can mix products

TerryLT
Reply to w30bob

And yet, it was the Hollister two piece system that gave me leaks around the seal, several times, always at night after being prone for hours.  I was super diligent about checking that it was properly and securely 'clicked' into place.  My output is all over the map in terms of consistency, but is often quite liquidy at night.

Terry

warrior

I believe something needs to be settled or addressed in terms of being prone versus laying down..  how it affects your stoma and leaks..   I really believe if you're in a coma your Appliance will last a month simply because you're not moving ....unfortunately, that isn't the case with all of us as we are not in a coma... so the way I see it laying down actually contributes to leakage.. I don't know how or why but you know that Stoma sometimes retreats and sometimes it expands..  when you're prone and you're changing the appliance you can see this happening ...when you're laying down you don't see that happening obviously.... but if that stoma shrinks   underneath the barrier ring,   you're going to get a leak,  not to mention that you're laying on your back and all that poop is just sitting right on top of your wafer.. eating away at it.. nice visual, huh?

there's got to be a better way to sleep !!! whether it's in a recliner maybe or an inclined bed ..

you got to get that poop to roll off that area when you're laying down. I wish there were some studies or some people took a chance doing that .. experiment...I may consider it myself because the objective is to get longer life out of your Appliance , right?  wheres my saw dammit.🗡️⚔️🪓🛌

TerryLT
Reply to warrior

Wow, thanks Warrior.  I just got educated.  I knew that the prone position meant  lying flat, but I didn't realize it meant on your stomach.  I googled it after reading your post.  I was referring to lying flat, which in my case is usually on one side or the other, or on my back, but not on my stomach.  Learn something every day!

Terry

warrior
Reply to TerryLT

hi terry. i may be remembering some things from my physical therapy sessions incorrectly.🤦‍♂️duh..

i thought prone meant standing.💁

so i think i got that all wrong..saying that when you are prone you can see everything.

by definition you can not see anything laying down - prone- installing the appliance. unless you are w30 bob with a giraffe neck.. 🦒 or got a partner helping...

my bad.  i got backwards so u educated me..👍

i don't think many of us can sleep on our tummys. being a side sleeper myself, that helps remove the poop from the wafer top side.

shoulders do hurt , don't they? ugh.

you heard of the texas two step?

we do the stoma three step to sleep.. back side..left side...right side..repeat.. 

in my defense of brain damage spoken,  im under pressure from the stoma games beachboy had set up. on the run here...

i think you have been following that thread. i lost my mind kidnapped him. apparently he had a twin.  ain't buying that shit story.. nope. 

w30bob
Reply to TerryLT

Hi Ter,

I believe you, as everyone's experience is a bit different.  A while back I was having Hollister bag leaks where the velco rolled up and secured and no one else was........so weird things happen all the time.  

;O)