Keeping regular BM

Replies
Views
Kakoot

Into 3rd year of having an ostomy and after 3rd operation am having trouble with regular BM,S without taking softeners, etc 

I use to go regular but now  things are worse even  on same diet. Does anyone else have trouble eating salads?  What is recommended for those of us who have a more difficult time? I am a vegetarian 90%. I peel everything including bell peppers and everything is cooked, nothing raw. Just hoping maybe someone has some ideas or advice to help. I now seem to especially have trouble with salads. 

Thanks😊

Beachboy

I would suggest getting a CT scan and a colonoscopy.  Do you have a colostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,600 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Probably the easiest thing you can do is increase your fluid intake.  If you don't already, drink lots of water and other liquids which will loosen your output.  Also good to avoid things that will thicken things up, like peanut butter, really starchy foods, bananas, marshmallows.  Increasing physical activity can help too.

Terry

Bill

Hello Kakoot.
Thank you for your post as it mirrors my own experience.

With being a vegetarian, it would be difficult (for me) to do without salads, so I wouldn't even contemplate it. I eat almost anything I want to and yes, I have the same trouble with BM's.
Dulcoease works best for me but about 6 months ago I decided to stop using it. Since then, I have had some irregularity with BM's but nothing I cannot cope with.
Upon reflection, I have always had these problems (long before I had the stoma) so, I feel it's just a consequence of my metabolism. It is also probably part of the reason I needed to have a stoma in the first place. 
I irrigate, which does mitigate some of the difficulties, but what now happens is that the output from irrigating is less predictable than it was before I stopped using Dulcoease. This I can cope with, so for now my routine will remain the same and I will simply try to adjust to what people on here call 'the new normal'. 
That is: whatever life throws at us!
I do hope that others will have more practical advice than me and that you can find solutions to your problems.

Best wishes

Bill

blondedagmar1

Hi I've had trouble having BMS I started drinking prune juice about 3 times a week and it looks like it's working . About 4 ounces when ever you want to have it. Was taking softeners and have stopped. Hope this helps.sarah

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister