Unexpected Vaginal Bleeding at 71 Post-Hysterectomy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
auxiliarycare
Mar 08, 2024 4:08 pm

Hi, I'm 71 years old. I've had my colostomy for 7 months. Thirty years ago, I had a total hysterectomy including the cervix. I noticed today fresh blood spotting from my vagina and some odor. I am old, and I thought it could be from vaginal atrophy. I always thought discharge from a fistula was dark in color. I called my doctor and was told that she's away for 6 weeks and I can't see anyone else for around a month. Although I do have an appointment with my stoma nurse in a few days, has anyone else had this?

Thanks, Sally.

CrappyColon
Mar 08, 2024 5:19 pm

Hi, I don't know all the ins and outs of the healthcare system there... but if you're having bleeding that is not normal, can you go to the emergency room/urgent care? Not sure what you call it there. Can you call/message your stoma nurse about it now? Don't wait till next week. When you have bleeding for an unexplained reason, I would not wait for care. You should not have to wait 6 weeks with the symptoms you're having.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

auburngrrl
Mar 08, 2024 5:45 pm

They didn't put a stent into your bladder/urethra, did they, during your surgery? They did for me, and it can cause bleeding sometimes due to it being irritating to your existing tissue there.

Caz67
Mar 08, 2024 6:47 pm

Hi Sally,

I work in a GP setting and I would highly recommend that you request an urgent appointment with a female GP who can examine and perform a smear. XX

IGGIE
Mar 09, 2024 12:33 pm

Don't ask to see a doctor; demand to see a doctor. Regards, Iggie

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Caz67
Mar 09, 2024 1:01 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Hi Iggie,

Unfortunately, we are unable to demand an appointment here in the UK. For Sally or anyone else having these symptoms, she will, of course, be prioritized and seen ASAP. Demand does nothing but cause animosity.

Morning glory
Mar 09, 2024 3:56 pm

Please take Crappy and Kaz's advice and see your GP. Come back on and let us know what is going on with you.

IGGIE
Mar 14, 2024 1:39 pm
Reply to Caz67

Then God help the patient.

yorkylass
Apr 29, 2024 10:54 am

Auxiliary Care - How Did You Go On?

Itsme58
Apr 29, 2024 11:56 am

Had that happen to me (I had rectal cancer, permanent colostomy). Cancer came back, I too had a hysterectomy. Cancer went to my vagina and my stoma. Please don't wait to get help. I wish you the best. Be blessed, Linda