Urostomy Routine: Sharing Tips and Experiences!

Replies
Views
mikamouse

So, as of lately, it has been exactly one year since I have had my urostomy that has saved my life from bladder cancer. I've been so afraid to change up my daily routines, but with a year looking in my rearview mirror, I have been enjoying 2 or 3 times a week taking my shower and removing my appliance after I do my hair and after I wash up! So, as not to get any lotions on Minnie!
I remove my pouch as I am getting ready to end my shower. I then proceed to put on my shower wrap towel and let Minnie have airtime all to herself! I will now do makeup and then my hair..... I start my latte and then proceed to hit

my bed because that is where I am comfortable cleaning and applying my appliance. I like to use my adjustable bed.... it's been so freeing after a year to let her air out and yes.... twice she twinkled on my foot in the bathroom. But she is good. Does anyone else have any routines they care to share? Or is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

AlexT

I haven't taken mine off in the shower yet. I do let it air out for a while before applying a new bag, feels pretty good and it has to be good for your skin.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mikamouse
Reply to AlexT

Awh, you gotta try it.... It's like Christmas morning!!

AlexT

One of these days.....

Bill

Hello mikamouse.

It sounds as if you are approaching this matter in a sensible manner and trying things a bit at a time as you feel more confident. 

I started out that way and gradually added more and more things to my daily routine. Nowadays I am back to what I CONSIDERED 'NORMAL' BEFORE!  I soak in the bath every morning and love it. Very occasionally there is a small 'accident', but that can happen anywhere at anytime, so I just accept it as a possibility and a price worth paying for living how I would wish. I think there is a a cliche that goes something like 'Dont' sweat the small stuff'. This seems to be fairly sound advice if we want to live our live to the maximum. 

Best wishes

Bill

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
mikamouse
Reply to Bill

Yes, exactly! I now use it as "my time" and this is how I have to live now! And I enjoy every moment

Past Member

I take mine (Ileo) off before the shower. I find it helps to shave the whole area after I wash off any residual stickiness from the wafer. Shaving with a regular razor, I get a very smooth finish which helps the wafer stick really well. I let the soapy shampoo water run all over it and just stand under the water and let it flow. The hot water really rejuvenates my skin. Feels so good to leave the bag off for a while.

Enjoy the temporary relief.

Eamon.

TerryLT

Hi Mika, on change day, I always take my pouch off before I shower. It feels great to let my stoma breathe and I can get it really clean with lots of soap and water, then rinse very thoroughly. Sometimes, if my timing isn't quite right, I'll have some output come out, but it just goes down the drain, so no worries. I think it's good for my skin to give it that break from confinement! There are those who will say not to use soap on the parastomal skin. All I know is that for me, to really get my skin dry before applying a new pouch, it works best if the skin has been cleaned with soap and water, as long as you rinse really well. If you don't use soap, the natural oils in your skin will prevent your skin from being as dry as possible. This is how I get the longest wear time. But yeah, letting that skin breathe is great!

Terry