Poo Around Hole in Flange of One-Piece Ostomy Bag

Replies
Views
cjotl2019
Mar 13, 2024 10:04 pm

Poo around the hole in the flange in a one-piece ostomy bag. I hope I am describing this right. There is poo around the hole's outer edge. What am I not doing right? Am I not cutting the hole big enough? Am I cutting it too small? It looks like a leak may happen if I don't change the bag every day.

AlexT
Mar 13, 2024 10:45 pm

So, you have output sitting basically on top of your stoma and it's not falling down the bag (called pancaking)? If so, lubricate the inside of the bag, leave a little air in the bag, rinse your bag when you empty. Drink more fluids. I have the issue quite often.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy
Mar 14, 2024 3:14 am

The part I hated most: cutting the wafer hole to closely fit my oblong stoma. I'd cut it too close, the stoma would sting and become irritated. Too much and poop invades the skin around the stoma.

Then... I wised up.

Moldable barrier ring. I added this to my wafer/bag system.

Using a ring, I now cut the wafer hole much bigger than my stoma size.

I cut the ring in half. Then wearing gloves, gently squeeze and stretch each ring half. When done, I press the ring up against my stoma where it meets the skin. When I'm done, the stoma is surrounded by the ring. Then the wafer goes on top.

Ring seals the stoma perimeter, wafer seals to the ring and skin.

IGGIE
Mar 14, 2024 1:09 pm

G'day Cjot, Open the end of the bag and, holding it up, pour about a cupful of water into the bag, then close it up. Now swish the bag around and let the water loosen the poo. After a few seconds of swishing, open the bag and let it all out. This should clean around the hole and clean it all up. Regards, IGGIE

Beachboy
Mar 15, 2024 9:21 am

I do the same as Iggie. In case of real thick or sticky output, I use Hollister deodorizer lube.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Kimmy050263
Mar 18, 2024 10:32 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Love this idea! I had to change the bag myself on Saturday as my boyfriend was out of town. I developed a leak, messed up the wafer big time! A few hours later I started leaking again. What a stinky mess! I managed the second go round to get it a bit better.