Ostomy

Replies
Views
chela54

WOW...haven't been on here since 2009 before my second ostomy reversal. 

But here I am again,  I will be getting surgery in June for an ostomy bag again but this time permanent.  I didn't really have a choice. It was either this or antibiotics with leakage.  But I have been with leakage for a year and a half now and I dislike it. Antibiotics every month sometimes twice a month.  So you see no real good choices.  But this time my husband passed 3yrs ago and he was so kind to help me with the preparation. Well am not looking for a new man as I loved and miss him very much,  we're married 45 yrs going on 46 when he passed. But I was on this website 15 yrs ago and it sure helped me back then. 

eefyjig

Chela, I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband. It sounds like he was a good support for you through all of your surgeries. You say you were on here in '09 before your second reversal. This is your third? Did you have a j-pouch? I did have one and had regular pain and inflammation and was on constant antibiotics for five years. I, too, hit a point where I had no choice and now have a permanent ostomy. I get it, when enough is enough. Welcome back and ask any questions. There are several permanent ostomates on here and they are awesome folks!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,645 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gentlejohn

Welcome back!

Permanent ostomies are not so bad.  It is a close brother/sisterhood.  

Morning glory

Welcome  back awesome people  here. Sorry  to hear your husband  passed. 

Hisbiscus

Hi welcome back I am rather newish here. I have an end ostomy but think of it like this... it's better than suffering and not having a quality of life. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.  You know the ropes to the ostomy since you had it before which will help in this case. 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
infinitycastle52777

Hopefully your life will improve once you adjust to the permanent ostomy. If you don't have to deal with leakage and antibiotics all the time I think you will start to feel better. I have been on here a year and I think it's a wonderful place. So welcome back and settle in. Great support here. 

Axl

Welcome back 

Beachboy

Welcome back.  

It really is about quality of life.  It takes time at first to adjust and learn how to care for an ostomy.  I've had mine 15 months.  I'm surprised how used to it I am now.  In fact, I have to be careful... I sometimes take a peek at my bag in public, forgetting many people have not seen or heard of an ostomy.  In my everyday life, my stoma sometimes makes lots of noise... when I'm talking to someone.  I just pat it lightly and say "quiet you or shoose."  

Cheers