Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,177 members

Rectal Discharge

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

Posted by supernan, on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:19 am
Hi everyone, not a very pleasant subject I'm afraid, but I have just come back out of hospital with no answers.  I have a colostomy and while I am used to having a small rectal discharge which is just mucus, I suddenly had a very bad one (equivalent to passing a large stool) which was bright green.  I told you it wasn't pleasant !!!  This then coincided with me getting a very bad back ache.  I went to GP but as I was in so much pain from my back and the discharge appeared to have stopped I asked her not to do examination.  She gave me strong painkillers and then the rest of the week I just had the back pain and started vomiting.  However, after a week, after the first proper meal the discharge came back. GP's exam showed there was still some of this bright green stuff so she sent me off to hospital.  When I got there the admitting surgeon also examined and said no it was o.k. but to have CT.  After 3 days had CT which showed nothing, only the hernia, so what now?  They rubbish me when I say that it seems to be worse when I eat a proper meal, and I know that some of the mucus generally can be a reflex reaction from the brain, but not like this.  Anybody else have any ideas please?

Reply by Primeboy, on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:10 am
Sup,
Check this pamphlet out:

http://www.colostomyassociation.org.uk/_assets/File/pdf/aboutrectaldischarge.pdf

Good Luck!

PB

Reply by tess45, on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:28 am
hey Superman - I know this will sound silly to you - but when you get this green mucus have you been eating anything green? Peas, Salad etc - I have noticed with myself if I eat something green then my output is also on the green side - just like when I drink a lot of red wine the output goes black from the tannin in the wine. (I have an ileo)  I don't mean to sound flippant about your problem but sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one. And it sounds like you have done all the right things by going to your Doc and having a CT, let me know what happens - Good Luck Terry

Reply by malcie67, on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:49 pm
Hi Supernan

I am a colostomate and have been for a few years now, I firstly had 2 Ilo's but now a permanant colostomy, I too have the mucus discharge at regular intervals ( I had my rectum closed off apart from about an inch or so ) and I have had a number of chats with my consultant about it, as at times it is a good amount. He did say that it is nothing apart from the glands in my bowel making juices to help the pooh slide, and even tho I do not use the area anymore it still makes and must dispatch..
I also have a bad back not due to the discharge tho.. I had a motorbike accident...hahahaha

Not sure this is anything you don't already know but thats my two penneth worth.
Hope it helps and take care
Malc

Reply by dizzyduck, on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:44 pm
hi I have the same problem and was told that when pain starts either back or rectum to incert a

gliserene supposerty, it works for me and can't hurt you, maybe worth a try

Reply by supernan, on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:09 pm
Thanks everyone for their input, the only thing that differentiated this from 'normal' discharge was the colour, bright green!  I have just thought  that perhaps it is the amount of scans/xrays etc that I have had over the years and I am now glow in the dark  ha ha!  Anyway, I will carry on and see what happens.  If it returns to normal well I guess I will never know.  Anyway, thanks again, all ideas always gratefully received.

Reply by mooza, on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:36 am
Hey supernan i was gunna say same with me but mines mucus greeny goo but its a proper stool?? that my friens is a hard one and like tess if i have red wine i actually pass red watery Ileo for me too what about a stomal therapy Nurse ?? im interested to know ..darlz yeah keep us posted moozeeeeee xxxxxxxxx

Reply by MrGreenz, on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:00 pm
I don't know what your future Plans are but you may need to remove the rectal stump. If that's not do-able, I would look into getting a flap surgery done.

Reply by 48 and losing it, on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:44 pm
thank g-d, i thought i was the only one that has been experiencing this. I had my entire large colon removed last year dec 11th to be exact things went into pouch as i guess it is supposed to i was told i had mega colon which one fellow sergeon told me was as big and long as her leg.it weighed over 15lbs plus. the surgery lasted over 10 hours aaand waaas much worse than anticipated . i ended up in icu and had my beautiful new dooty bag to carry around. i couldnt find a pouching system that worked with out exploding in such wonderful places as walmart,sears and many other public places!finally i found a nurse that was able to find a system that worked.  because the first surgery lasted ssso long the sergeon stopped the procedure and ssaid she would finish fixing everything(i aalso had horrific dammage from being cult sexually abused at 5) so here in april 11th. i had the head of two major depaartments at preforming  and fixing my insides i had to have complete reconstruction of my bladder, gyn. stuff and finish all the stuff they did not have time with on the last one. i did not have as much time to recover from this surgery as my family that lived thru hell last year esp my kids we went to a cabin in alaska to be alone and heal as a family that part was great. except prior to leaving i started to have explosions from my rectum. not the mucus sludge i was told to expect. i emailed my sergeon prior to leaving for rural alasska no water electric out house you get the picture. sshe told me go have fun and she will se me when i get back.  in alaska i started having major fecel material in my rectum that sorry to be so gross i had to manually remove three or four times a week. when i got back i saw my sergeons the gyn oked me.but the colorectal sergeon as my husband said looked mortified aand said we needed three disgusting tests asap. because i had no prep as im not supposed to have any bile in my rectum i was even told by a 12 yr old lookinf doctor thaat it was phyciaally impossoble.  so now the up date, im really sick back to being in bed no quality of life no energy,even feeling sucidal but i knowww thats not an option. i went to my gp who is the best dr and one of the most increadable person i have ever met. he exaamaained me and said well now your dr. aalso knows you do have trmendous fecal material in your rectum it felt so great to finally find my dr. who belived me he got the segeron on the phone in 5 sec he doesnt mess around,he drew me a picture of what my insides look like now too bad i waaas in sso much pain i really didnt understand what he ment but i wil ask him aagin next visit. my gp also changed my meds i also have end stage RSD,which is beleved to have stopped the mobility in my colon in the first place!  I also have been in so much pain and really week not able to get out of bed weak, whenever i attempt to eat anything it hurts so bad and you could be sitting on the other side of the room and it sounds like i have a gargole that lives in my stomache. so i dont eat but yet out comes fecal meteral from my rectum and in my stoma bag out comes green foam.go figure. if any one else has ever delt with this pls pls let me now what the outcome is/was no pun intended. i pray you aand i can find some relief aand to stop this crazyness. its bad enough having aan illilostomy aand bag. plus having to deal with rectum explosns. i also dont have much control of my rectal muscles as i also had aa recal prolapse.  i really felt like the end was close in ssight when i had to go buy depends. im not even 50 yet and really normally dont look or uually feel anywhere near my age.... help anyone please!

Reply by Hruth3, on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:18 am
Hi

I too have had this problem and have recently been told that I have divert colitis (ie colitis in the rectal stump).   Currently on a course of antibiotic supposotaries which appear to help a little.   I have an end colostomy since April 2008 due to ulcerative colitis and whilst I always had discharge it was generally clear until a few months ago when it changed to be almost like the discharge from a bad sinus infection.   I too find that if I eat something which would have played up with me pre-colostomy still plays up with me in the rectal stump which is weird given nothing passes that section.  I have been told I could have the rectal stump removed but my surgeon is loath to do it and tells me the surgery and recovery are 3 times worse that the colostomy itself.   I also have chronic pain due to adhesions and nerve damage from multiple surgeries over 40 years.   I have a pain stimulation system implanted but still unfortunately have to rely on heavy pain medication to get through the day.

Reply by bigtrev, on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:29 am
Hi Superman

I have my colostomy over 11 years and still have occasional rectal discharge! Years ago I used to have extremely painful "phantom" defecation urges accompanied by a discharge. When I asked my consultant way back then he couldn't give an explanation. If it's any consolation it gets less and less and I hardly notice it at all now! Good luck

Reply by supernan, on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:17 am
Hi everybody, thanks for all the words of experience, you would think that after 10 months I would have picked up on most of these things, but just as I get sorted something else comes along to throw me.  My GP had said that she thought that it could be some form of diverticulitis in the rectal stump but she actually witnessed the discharge, but it stopped whilst I was in hospital so we will just have to wait and see.  I have been referred back to my surgeon so I will see what he says, Oh joy!! Mind you, my stay in hospital did one good thing which was that I got to see my stoma nurse who hadn't actually seen my hernia and has come up with new ideas and bags to help.  So now I am using the Hollister 2 piece which I am finding brilliant, and also I had to relearn how to apply the backing plate as it is different for a hernia.  My back problem I think I might have found the answer to.. I am always twisted to the side whenever I am cooking, washing up, ironing etc. as the hernia is in the way so that is probably why.  I will have to work on ways round this, a housekeeper perhaps!!  ha ha

Reply by jenkins124, on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:47 am
Hi friends:

I am having a redish mucus discharge with a fowl oder. When this happens I feel like I am about to 1have abowel movement. I have had my colostomy for two years.Also I just have a stump left for a rectum Any answers

Thanks Joyce

Reply by mettajojo, on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:26 pm
Hi, My stoma nurse and surgeon told me that mucus can be green, orange, blown but mostly are light blown when I experiencing orange/pink, at first I thought it was mixed with scar blood, but they said no worry unless you experience temperature or pain, so I guess 95% of it are 'normal'.
Regards,
Jo

Reply by Cecille, on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:59 pm
That is EXACTLY what I am having!
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.