Ostomy blowouts in public - seeking advice!

Replies
Views
mamawlaura

I've had my ileostomy since April of this year. I've had a few blowouts here at home, but I don't want to venture too far from home because of the fear of it happening away from home. Have you fellow ostomates had problems in public? What do you do? I'm tired of being a "prisoner" in my own house! HELP!!

Primeboy

Expect a blowout to happen a few times a year, but remember that many blowouts are preventable. There are certain things I do to stay on the safe side: change regularly, make sure nothing obstructs the flow, always be aware of your bag, and bring extra supplies. Reasonable vigilance is the price of remaining dry. Since my ileostomy two years ago, I have traveled halfway around the world and have been very active physically. I am not going to let the bag restrict my life, neither should you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

PB,

As always, succinctly stated. What you say should be packaged inside every box of appliances and wafers that are sold. Anticipation and preparedness are the best combination to avoid an uncomfortable and perhaps embarrassing situation.

X_

weewee

Hello
Blowouts are common for me. I carry a duffle bag with a change of clothes, wafers, bags, and a towel. I also have extras in case I blow out again. Always pack like you are in the woods.

Franicaa
I've had so many blowouts at college! It makes me so mad! But I've found that as long as my pants aren't too tight on the bag and I haven't drunk a lot of fluid, I can sit from 8:30-1:10 in lectures and then walk home after with no problems!
I like to carry 3 pre-cut spares, a few wipes, and scented rubbish bags in case I have to go change it in the toilet at college... It's a pain, but when the worst comes to worst, it's what you have to do! I also find that wearing more than 1 t-shirt is quite good. (I like to layer up tank tops with a jumper or sweater and a body warmer). That way, if you do leak onto your clothes, there are plenty of layers it has to get through before the stain is visible, and you can lose the first few layers if needs be and no one will notice!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gixer750

Hi, I use Convatec mouldable flange and replaceable bags. No leaks or blowouts in 2 years.

Ride a fast bike, normal physical job.

Dave

ash1712

I've had a stoma for over a year now and I've had a few blowouts (mainly diet-related), but I found it to be trial and error. I didn't leave the house for six months after I recovered from my op, I think it was a mental thing for me. I was constantly trying to conceal my pouch and always checking to see if it was fail.

Like most of the replies, I keep a spare pouch kit in my car along with some spare clothes just for peace of mind. But for the last year, I've had no problems even when I go running or weight training.

Xerxes

A duffle bag! Wow, you really do stay prepared.

X_

boatlady21

It happens..... I have been to Australia twice, made sure I changed the day before my trip, all was well.
I have been to the US and many places on the continent, been camping too always take a spare in my handbag just to be safe, I use the disabled toilet if I have to.

I live alone aboard a canal barge which was a wreck done loads of work with a bit of help from my sons, I have laid floors, lots of T G, plumbing, its not good to have leaks on a boat, loads of painting, there is not a lot I can't do.... so get out there and just go for it don't be a prisoner to your stoma so what if it blows out just blame the dog!!! lol

megalyman

I had a few at night when I first had the ili. I think it was due to my body adjusting to the bag and I would mess with it when I was asleep. I got it caught on something a few times and pulled it off when I was doing work in the yard. As time goes on, you learn how to protect it. Make sure you use a belt and consider one of the support belts online.

Beaner

I've had mine since February. I pushed mine to the limit just to be sure it wasn't going to give me a problem. I pushed myself with exercise and did lots of yard work. When I felt that it was going to behave, I did short drives to the bank, drugstore, then ventured farther. I have flown across the country, boated for hours at a time, and driven for three hours without a stop. Start small, always have supplies, and enjoy life... It's not over!!!!!

ChrisMonro

What I do is have 3 "backup" kits, which contain 1 pouch, 1 clip, 2 adhesive cleaning wipes, 2 adhesive wipes, a spare set of underwear, a small towel, 2 plastic shopping baggies (1 for clothes if a change is needed, and one for the failed pouch and various pieces and detritus.

These kits I carry are small zipper-sealed.... One of them is even the Ford Manual case for my Ranger.

Most of my blowouts have occurred because I ate too soon before going to bed, or because I put off emptying due to obligations.

mamawlaura

Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions. I knew I could count on you!! Thanks so much. I love to hike the Appalachian Trail. I live about a mile from it here in VA. You all have eased my anxiety about getting back to what I love and miss. Thank you all....Love you all.

pixiebell

I have had many "blowouts" since getting my ili done 3 years ago. I, like you, am afraid to leave the house most of the time or travel far from home. I always keep an emergency kit with me (I hide it in the way that I carry the supplies in a purse) and I trained my ex-boyfriend on how to help me change it in case of leakage issues. There have been times when it has decided to spring a leak on me when I was in the store or even washing my car! Although it is embarrassing to you...I have found that no one really notices. That is probably because I ALWAYS wear shirts that cover my abdomen totally and when I feel a leak I RUN to my car and back home.
I would always keep emergency supplies on hand wherever you go. If you know that you have to go out one day or evening, be cautious on when and how you eat. Better safe than sorry!
Allie

Survivor2x

I've had my ileostomy for 2 years now. In the beginning, I had a lot of blowouts, but found out that it was because of what I was using to cleanse my skin. It was too moisturizing, and my wafer would not seal properly. Once I figured out that plain old water was the best way to cleanse the area, I didn't have as many blowouts, and I began to venture out (I even got married and went on my honeymoon to Barbados). I have since had a few blowouts in public, but nobody but me has ever taken notice. Like everyone else, I always have extra supplies on hand. They fit nicely in my purse which goes with me everywhere. Also, as time goes on, and you get used to your stoma, you will begin to "know" when you may end up having a problem and therefore, be able to stop it before it happens.

Past Member

I always carry gauze sponges plus a ziploc bag with three bags, three wafers, paste, a change of underwear, and a "doggie bag" for discreet disposal. I always wear black...black skirts, black pants, black shorts so leakage is less obvious.

You'll be surprised how creative you get! Once I changed the bag while sitting in a parking lot in a convertible with the top down!

Past Member

I've had an ileostomy for 30 years now and seldom have blow-outs anymore. If I do, it's because I pushed the wear time too far (usually due to laziness). Early on, I had such problems, but it was usually because the pouch opening was a bit too small in diameter for my stoma. Anytime I had eaten something a bit rough, my stoma would invert when passing it, and the stoma would then blow the seal because the edge of the pouch opening was too close/tight to the stoma. I use Hollister pouches with the Karaya-1 (or whatever they call it) ring, and ever since I got the stoma opening in the correct diameter, I hardly ever have trouble with blowouts. However, be prepared in order to achieve some peace of mind. I keep a quart-size ziplock with everything I need for 1 change in: my desk at work, my car, my suitcase, and the small backpack I use between home and work every day. Just knowing that stuff is nearby gives me comfort.

billba2020

Great subject, we all have had this happen to us. I finally went to a slightly convex barrier and pouch and have never had the problem again. I have been using Coloplast products, but any good convex would do.

Immarsh
Hi all, this was an interesting read. I was 15 when I had my surgery, and I guess I didn't pay attention to the "what if's" back then. That was 48 years ago, and although I've had blow-outs/leaks on occasion, it's not until recently that I started carrying a spare pouch and wafer along with me when I'm out and about. I've always carried tape with me to retape a wafer to my skin. Even these days, when I'm out locally, I don't give it any thought. I go to the gym, teach, go out socially for dinners, theater concerts, etc. and rarely have a problem. But I do plan carefully. I change on schedule (7 days) or if I feel an unusual itch. I empty often, wear supportive undies, and clothes that do not bind or make the wafer shift. Because I sometimes have difficulty with fibrous foods, I avoid eating those when traveling. But I think of my ostomy much like traveling with a child... be prepared, so kudos to all of you who pack extras and clothes. I may pack a tote to leave in my car... just in case.

I've been away (from the site) for a while, so it's great to be back. Greetings to old friends, and would love to meet new ones.

Marsha
flower power

Hi there, I am new to the computer, so here goes mistakes or not. I can understand your trauma and anxiety when you experience an unexpected blowout, it's not very nice, to say the least. All of us ostomates are in the same boat. All we can do is take precautions and be prepared, keep emergency supplies on hand at all times, and hope for the best. I wish you well, from one ostomate to another.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hunny, no reason to be a prisoner, just be prepared.... It's a handbag, carry a change of supplies and a change of clothes and get out and goooooo..... Empty often, dress accordingly. If it's not happening at home, it's no different than being out. Your stoma doesn't know where it is at or where it is going, so all you can do is be prepared. You got this, believe in yourself and go go go....