Ostomy Bag Filters: Clogging After Bowel Movements - Normal or Am I Missing Something?

Replies
Views
manbag

I have used Osto-Ez-Vent for a little over a year. They work very well.

tdbm

I am sorely disappointed with the vented Hollister bags with charcoal for odor control. HAA! NOT! When the vent isn't plugged, it seems to frequently and randomly let out that unique stoma smell, you know, halfway between stomach acid and the normal poo smell, MUCH to the consternation of anyone within range. Yuk. I am seriously considering scrapping the vented bags. Since this system has a Tupperware seal, I have started to just get to a bathroom and slip my thumbnail between the seal at the top, pull it apart a bit, to vent it myself. That way I can control when the smell comes out and where! I guess I'll see for myself if I end up with a huge blimp on my belly most of the time. If so, I'll try to be a bit more cognizant about gas-producing foods. (Or swallow way more activated charcoal for gas and smell!) I usually don't have output waiting to gush out the top and have only had some get on the seal once. I was able to clean it up so it wouldn't smell. The diarrhea I had for the duration of my radiation and for a week or two after is so far under control with Imodium. I did have "pancaking" then but not anymore since I started squirting some vegetable oil or Pam inside the bag.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HarleySue

I too get the blimp on my belly from the gas. They have drops to help with smell. It does help to lube the stoma so there is no pancaking. I hope this helps! Oh, and feel lucky, I have no sense of smell, so if I stink I have to wait to be told!

NewlifeVictoria

Hi, my friends! What do you use for that wonderful sticky stuff? I ever and can't stand it, lol. Help, what do you use? Thank you so much!! Hope you're doing good!! NewlifeVictoria