Recovery time for urostomy surgery?

Replies
Views
Highlander15

Is that what they do in Australia now? Grade you and then you have to wait in line depending on what you are graded? Would you be able to get private insurance if you had the cash? I am near uninsurable. I really struggle to pay my medical bills here. I pay over 800 dollars a month as well as copay and incidentals and travel - like my recent trip to New York. I am lucky I have my own house, but I have mismatched second-hand furniture and drive an old car. I can only work part-time because of my illness and also I am always going for some kind of test or to the doctor. I am originally from the UK. I am thinking that when I can no longer work, I will have to go back there because of my health issues. Any money I have goes on healthcare. I am not complaining. I have my life and there is no better use for cash than to spend it on your health. But I do understand what you say. It is some life, isn't it? All this waiting and waiting.

Meg

tim1948

I had my anus, rectum, and colon removed on Nov 13, 09 and was back to work in Feb. The worst part was waiting for this damn 4" deep hole at the bottom of my belly incision to heal. It had to be packed with medicated gauze so it would heal from the inside up and not leave an abscess. It seemed like it took FOREVER. But all is well now. I was 10 days in the hospital, but upon my release, I could drive my pickup truck and go to the store, etc.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,623 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

jenji bean

I have recently just had the complete pelvic exenteration as well. 11/1/2012 was my date of surgery due to cancer. I am learning to cope but find it really hard and am in a state of depression. During the surgery, they had to close up the hole they had to cut in my vagina area with what they called a flap. However, no one explained to me this was a permanent procedure and at 29 years old, it completely prevents me from being sexually active. Did you experience this procedure and if so, how are you coping with it? I have been with the same guy for the past 3 years, a year and a half of which we have been fighting this cancer, but this is kind of the icing on the cake and is making for many fights between us because we both do not know how to cope...if anyone has any advice on this topic, please help...

Highlander15

Yes Jen, I fully understand what you are going through. I was married to a male nurse practitioner, but with the radiation, my vagina was foreshortened and has never stopped being inflamed and bleeds easily even now, years later. I was married for twenty years, but my husband did leave me. This happened when I was twenty-eight, we did stick with it for a long time, but in the end, he did go. I try to work out what I would have done in his position, but now, years later, it really does not matter. I try to be grateful for my life and make the most of each day. On the outside, I don't look bad at all and do often get asked out, but I can't go, and I can't explain why to preserve my dignity. Thinking of you and hope you are doing well.

Ro

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this at such a young age. I am 51 and my doctor just told me I will have to undergo the same surgery. I've been battling colon cancer. I will be thinking of you.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Highlander15

Oh well. When I think of what the soldiers are going through, and what other people have to contend with, it makes me think. Life can be hard, it is never easy. But we will get through. There are ways around things and tips for coping.

If I can help you at all, let me know. Are you having surgery at the Cleveland Clinic?

JamesArnod

Hi Meg

I was lucky, my Dr. (since retired) said he had done 10,000 Urostoma operations and said that I healed at lightning speed like he had never seen. I was walking around 24 hours after the operation (4.5 hours). I was back to work in 3 weeks. However, I did develop a hernia within a year, (Dr. said "Just don't get fat") which is not out of the normal from what I understand. It has been 10 years since my operation and I am happy with the situation even though I never had an Ostomy nurse and had to figure most everything out for myself.

Jim