BURP... Excuse me

In this discussion
Replies
Views
lemon
Has anyone experienced excessive burping? Mine started a couple months ago and has been really embarrassing. I looked up burping and crohn's and found out it could be caused by breakdown of intestine. (yikes!!) The only change in my diet has been that I cut out pop and sweets. Hopefully WebMd is just a liar because i really don't feel like going though Crohn's again. If you can help it would be really appreciated!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi i think a lot of people exspearience this at first but also depends on what your eating and drinking,and as you say you have cut out some things. Certain things you can try to help are marshmellows they can cut out the gas. Also its important that you dont go too long inbetween eating,eat small and often,going hours without food just builds a lot of gas. Im sure there will be a few more ideas that people will say to help . Hope things settle down im sure they will tc ambies..
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lemon
thanks ambies
I probably will try marshmallows and eating often. I don't eat very much and usually only once or twice a day. My stoma isn't new, Ive had it for 2 years. Neways thanks!!!
Past Member
Hi lemon no problem if i think of anything else i will post. . ambies..tc
budd002
You could also be swallowing allot of air when you eat or drink. We shouldn't use straws and chew like crazy. The nibbling always helps as well it will give your tummy something to play with instead of making gas.

Marshmallows and Activia Yougart work. But it has to be the Activia for the Probiotics and live bacteria culture. Allot of regular yougart doesn't contain live bacteria culture.

Many swear by Beano and Gas-X but I'm Bass Ackwards and I find I get more bloated when I use those, I'm messed that's all, nothing normal here.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member
Same problem - great deal of burping over the past couple of years.

I have found that this can be brought on, in my case, by drinking water and, perhaps surprisingly, by tension. Whenever I go to the dentist or hospital, I find that I burp more often and more frequently. Once I get out of the dentist's chair or the doctor's consulting room - it stops.

However, since it is excessive outside of stress periods too, I might just try the marshmallows, as I like them anyway, and the yoghurt could be worth a try too.
Past Member
As a long time ostomate, (1997), I throw my two cents in... I find that when I get hungry, I tend to belch a lot and often. So, with that in mind, I have changed my eating habits... Smaller meals, and more often. If you don't have time or resources (working, school, and the like), take a few diet bars that you like with you and snack on those!
banshie3by5
Crohns aren't supposed to use straws, either re:air into gut But for each person you do what works for you.

I agree with frequent small meals. If I don't eat I have even more loose stool; if I do eat its thicker less.
moonshine
You All are soooo luckyu....my problem is the opposite.....I cannot burp....my food gets stuck in esophagus and les (lower esophigal svinxter) is not quite right, then the production of gas from breakdown gets stuck int the gut ansyfinsded diaphram....I just wanna get a "big burly man beer bump' out of my body....this may not be socially appropriate but for gods sake this is how human berings need to survive. When that ability is taken away from you - yu realize how the simple things in life is really all you need.