A Peaceful Sanctuary and Country Home for Ostomates

In this discussion
Replies
Views
WOUNDED DOE
Love to everyone! ...Hey, I'm just tossing more ideas around for future plans for my property. I own approx 20 acres and an old farm house and I still am fixing this place up BUT, I still often ponder the option of one day turning this place into a Sanctuary / Community Home for Ostomates .....lots of trees, fields for great organic garden, wildlife, privacy, etc.....I am just wondering how many people would actually think that's a good idea or not.Just thinking.I'm wondering how well that idea would go over.............I am so far unaware of any such places anywhere..........do you know of any??? Good idea or bad idea??? I am interested in opinions on this.....cheers all!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
it does sound like something that has not been done before, and anything that benefits our kind (i.e. the ostomate) always sounds like a good idea.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
WOUNDED DOE
Hi ....yeah, it seems there are many ostomates who not only need the support of being around other understanding ostomates but there are also many newbies to the osty world who also just need a temporary place to recover and have the special support that WE here can offer......or as one of my girlfriends once put it, it could be like "The Starting Over House" (recalling that television show) but it would be for ostomates, living together and helping each other.

I have no children, I have no siblings, etc, and I am also thinking about how I can make certain that my place continues to be a special Sanctuary when I'm gone. It started out as the family farm over 100 years ago, then after I took it over it has been my Sanctuary and also because I have dedicated my life to Private Non Profit Animal Rescue it has been a Safe Sanctuary for injured and unwanted animals.....perhaps the next transition for this place is for Osties to get together, help each other heal,....and call home.That notion remains heavy on my mind.....................xoxo
Past Member
Starting Over House

Nice.
PJT
I've had my ostomy for most of my life Doe and it has become "normal' for me. I've dated, married, held a good job and had a daughter and pretty much made the adjustment to having an ostomy. Yet, after all these years, I find so much comfort in the advice, discussions and friendship of the people in this group. Honestly, I'm not sure if your idea is a good one or not or whether it would take off or flop. Your place sounds beautiful and peaceful and perhaps it just might work!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member
Sounds like a wonderful idea sweet girl and if I ever get the visa situation sorted will be there in a heartbeat!
kbd
I think it's a cool idea. I was kind of surprised to see the topic because just a few nights ago I had a dream about such a place, maybe wish-fulfillment or deja vu, but a cool idea nonetheless
kbd
weewee
hello doe your idea is close to what patch adams did and yes its was sucessful i think he is in colorado watch the movies it is funny and sad and happy ending
bikerboy
what ever you decide to call it Im with you and support you any way I can,you have been an inspiration to me and countless others.
gutenberg
Hi there Doe, I gotta admit you have a wonderful idea and as our membership grows I'm sure you'll find more people in situations where this sanctuary would be a paradise, and with your heart of gold all the more so, Ed
Past Member
Fantastic idea! Many ostomates around the world would benefit from your idea. Where is this beautiful piece of property? US or other. If located in the states, there might be a way to make it a non profit organization and received donations to operate the facility.
Just think, positive advertisement about having an ostomy. I can hear the talk shows now!
The Healing Home could be just what is needed in our osty world!
Lobster
It's a lovely idea but it would be a fairly niche market. Secondly, with the cost of air travel now it may limit those who can afford to come.
Newtothebag
Hi there,
I think this is a great idea. I have had my urostomy since November and have actually looked for a place like this or an adult camp like the one they have for youths. I have found nothing. Think it would be wonderful!
NancyAnn
Someone else asked this and I didn't see and answer, where is your farm? I would love to be part of that. I have had my urostomy for my entire life and never got to go away as a kid because of other medical problems.
Are you talking a camp or an actual place for people to live out the rest of there lives? Would you have medical staff available?
There are more ostomies out there than we know but people are to shy about coming forward.
Let me know what happens?
Rainbow dancer
This is an excellent idea and do lets know when you`r up and running and where abouts it will be...Bright and shiny rainbow blessings from The Bronte Lands Yorkshire...Zara xxx
Titi
WOW Love your idea! And count with me for whenever that happens I can paint lots of painting for that wonderful place...!
ron in mich
hi all, great idea Doe as a retreat it would be a nice place to get away to, almost like a family reunion. ron
amck
Great Idea!!! Build it...we will come!
dalber
Wow! sounds exciting to me, I would love to be able to do something like that myself, what a blessing that you would be willing to share your property with us, just so we could get away and recuberate and especially to meet other osteomates, thats the best part. Feels like family, I think we all feel somekind of connection even though we have never met. Diane
LilyJ
AGAIN! Where are you located. You don't have a profile posted.
Joyce
marjucca 100
Wow a good idea. WHat part of the world we can find you. Love to come and spend my hols there. I am from a tiny island in the Mediterranean Malta.
Jupiter
Wonderful idea
gemini29x
OMG ,i had the same idea!i am looking for at least a 5 acre property in flordia or hawaii and the same idea as you desecribed i think it is a great idea and you should go for it.
car1951
Great idea--something like that is needed for new osmates. Very little real information out there for new people.
Green Eyed Lady
I think it's a great idea! I think that if you are truly passionate about this, then it's what you should try doing. We here have a local Ostomy Support Group who just sent our teenagers with ostomies off to summer camp for a week out west. This was where they could gather with others like themselves, learn more about their particular conditions, feel more comfortable with their peers - and, of course, hit every theme park/water park in
the area - and just be like every other kid out there! They had a great time. I think what you're trying to do goes even further. It seems to reach deeper levels of acceptance and love of one another - appreciation of each other and of nature at the same time. Let's face it, we are "special" and have special needs to our ostomy conditions. It would be a place of respite where everyone could gather (like a B B?) like a family and share our stories and experiences with others - as well as a retreat to our tired bodies/spirits! I think that sometimes we forget to "stop and smell the roses" because we're so darn wrapped up with having ostomies, that we don't nurture our spirits and ourselves very well. Your retreat sounds perfect for all of us. It will take a lot of thinking, planning and money. You've got to weigh non-profit vs. profit to see how you could afford to run it. I'm just a regular "retired" gal who would be willing to help you think through this scenario. I'm also great at doing online research. So if you need others to help you get this dream into a reality, reach out to me/us for help. All of us had/have specific careers where we can help in all areas of the planning to get it off the ground. We're all here to help each other. Your idea is great - now it's down to where to start! I'm here if you need me! PS: I also saw where someone asked you how they could afford to come to your retreat...my answer is that it will be up to them to find their funding (through local support groups? church grants, etc.). You can't find the solutions to everyone's problems...they can find their own. I'm really excited that you have been given this passion - and I look forward to see where it's going!
PRIVACY
Hi Doe well I think it is a wonderful idea its some where people can come and reflect their life if they are down or need to make friends I am sure most could make the trip and I woild be ready to contribute to it if you get a charity started and that could fund its up keep and its where singles could mingle most people dont understand what we go through
slaider5657
Doe as a newbie to this as in 7 months mine is a motorcycle related accident, I just want to say that your idea is golden and one that I would use in a heart beat. Along with the animal rescue to help keep your mind off the reason you are there it is a great idea. As for me I have questions sure my nurse got me started then wham you are on your own. You have a heart of gold lady and if you do decide to do this please keep me posted.
keysgirl
Hey Doe,

I also think it's a wonderful idea. I would love to conduct a workshop or two, or even facilitate discussions. Anything to expand thinking and consciousness and help folks move forward in their lives. From what I've seen of your photos it is beautiful there. Maybe by spring or summer next year or the next you could be ready to go. Let me know how I can help. I love you!

Sadiqah
Primeboy
Hi Doe. What enthusiastic responses! Ostomates definitely need access to each other. Right now, in this stage of your planning, you seem to have a solution searching for an appropriate problem. Once that problem is identified, you can generate and assess your goals and strategies in light of resources and your own personal needs. My suggestion is to be as concrete and focused as possible. Look at what people are talking about daily on this website. How about adolescents with Crohns who need to begin coping with permanent ostomies? What about unattached adults who think their love life is now over? Could our artists benefit from a unique forum to address their special interests? I am sure your ideas are well on their way toward becoming possibilities. You have a better chance to succeed if you start small, learn from others who have travelled similar routes, and find great resources to make your mission work. All the best! PB
bmeup
I think this is a great idea and of course, very generous of you to think of others and be willing to share your place with fellow osotomates. Take a look at other organizations with similar operations. A great example of this type of farm turned retreat is the Fur Peace Ranch in southeastern Ohio (http://www.furpeaceranch.com ). It is a musicians' retreat, but you might be able to contact them for advice on how to get a place like this up and running. It would be nice to know there is a place for people like us to go where we wouldn't have to worry about our personal situations and meet others who understand. Keep us posted. I am sure you could receive a lot of volunteer help in getting it together. What a great way to spend a few "give back" days!