Seeking Advice: Menopause Symptoms with an Ileostomy - Any Similar Experiences?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Dixie1

Obviously, this question is for the ladies on the forum.

I am hoping someone out there can help me. I have had my ileostomy since I was 10 weeks old - all of my life. I am now in my early 40s and believe I am beginning to experience symptoms of menopause or perimenopause. To the extreme.

I have been tracking everything for the last 6 months, and after 3 months of Jekyll and Hyde behavior that is ruining my friendship with my best friend and impacting my work, I went to the doctor. He prescribed Yaz birth control pills and I have been on those for 3 months. There are some changes for the better.

What I still seem to be experiencing are the wild mood swings, from the depths of despair, depression to full-blown anxiety attacks.

My friend suggested I pose the question here, given the major surgeries we have had and the major altering of our insides, has anyone else experienced stronger than normal menopause?

I am, after a lot of consideration, considering anxiety medication to get me calmed down to where I can think rationally and start feeling myself again.

I would really appreciate anyone else's views on this and what, if anything, works.

Thank you for reading my post.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

notexpectingthis

Yes!!! Take the anti-anxiety meds!!!!! They will help you see things more clearly. You will be able to make better decisions. I am glad I did. Panic attacks are not fun. They leave you breathless, reeling for the rest of the day. No matter how much the people around you love you, it hurts them too!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
gee07
Hi Dixie 1,
I am a lot older than you and you do seem young to be going into the menopause.
I started mine around 52 and am 62 now.
It's not much fun and sometimes it does make you feel as though you are going round the bend but this feeling doesn't last too long.
I take it you have had a check-up for other female problems that could give you these types of feelings?
For me, my mood swings are gone now but I still get very hot at night to the point I have bedroom windows open all night long then I get cramp where my leg or foot gets cold.
The worst thing for me is dryness, my skin has gone so dry, dry eyes, and because like you I too have an ileo., for 41 years makes me dehydrate even more than I did before the menopause.
If the birth pills are helping then keep on with them.
You could try looking into more natural stuff, Red Clover I did take and there is another not too sure of the name but something like Qloch, they may help. Go to your health shop and see what they have for early menopause.
Out of interest, how were you when you had your periods? Did you get very moody then?
Don't forget food, all kinds of foods can make a change in our moods too. We can go along eating something for years and then we can't.
Cheese gives headaches to some as does chocolate.
Keep a track of your foods and see if there is anything you can pinpoint at the times you feel upset, etc.
I hope I have kind of helped but if it is the menopause then you are not alone, a lot of ladies are going through the same and the feelings do change and get better as time goes on.
Really you should first find out if there isn't anything other and then if you know for sure it's the dreaded menopause... then that's half the battle sometimes, if you know what I mean?
Gee07
Dixie1
Thank you Gee 007 and notexpecting this for your replies.

To answer your question regarding my previous moods associated with my periods, I never really had PMS, just the usual cramping but certainly nothing like this.

This is why I took to the boards, as this seems to have started about 6/8 months ago and kind of blindsided me.

I met with my physician and it was decided that I discontinue the birth control as it didn't seem to be relieving the symptoms and the panic attacks, depression, and mood swings continued and seemed to be worsening. I read the side effects and it turns out the Pill may cause depression and nervousness.

So I am on a short-term antidepressant, anti-anxiety pill. I am hoping this helps. I don't like the way I am right now.

I will let you know how this goes.

I still believe I may be entering perimenopause as some of those symptoms are making themselves known. Aren't we ladies lucky!

Thank you both for your thoughts and suggestions.
gee07
Hello Dixie 1,
Well, you seem a little more positive now that you have seen your doctor and have stopped taking the birth control pill.
Let's hope the new tablets will ease your scary feelings.
I guess if you are going through menopause, then the best bet is to treat it as such.
Try to get as much information on how you can help yourself with it.
Look for healthy options for natural medications.
Yes, we ladies do get a lot.
Good luck with everything.
I'm off to the States in a few days, so I will be away for a few weeks, but I'm happy to know how you are doing.
gee07

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
vikinga
Hi Dixie 1,
I went through terrible symptoms with perimenopause then menopause. You name it, I had it. Fortunately, I had already started reading and researching on the matter. I also joined a Yahoo group on the subject of natural hormone therapy and was able to get a couple of recommendations for someone to see for bio-identical hormones in my area. By the way, that is the only kind of hormones you should even consider. The first thing to do is get your hormone levels checked. You don't have to feel this way. Within a couple of weeks, I was a much happier, energetic, "cooler" person. Do not auto prescribe. Although these are bio-identical, they are still hormones and need to be prescribed by an experienced professional. You will also want to be very open about ANY symptoms you are experiencing. When I mentioned to my doc that I was getting very dark morbid thoughts every night before sleeping (not normal for me), he said it was the hormones and that he could fix that.....and he did!!!
A couple of books to read are: "Ageless" by Suzanne Somers and "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause", the breakthrough book on natural hormone balance by Dr. John R. Lee. The latter is considered the "bible" on natural hormones.
Birth control pills are harmful in that they contain artificial hormones. And I am convinced that the vast majority of women on antidepressants are really just needing their hormones balanced. It is a good idea to inform yourself as much as possible before seeing a doctor so you can ask the right questions and know if they are the right doc for you.
Good luck! You can and will feel much better!!
Lisbett
violet-hummingbird
Hi Dixie,

I don't think that your ileostomy should be an issue for menopause. The average age is 52, but it is not considered abnormal to have menopause from 40 years old. Indeed, I went through mine at 43, and on reflection, it accounted for the work and domestic stress that I thought I was suffering at the time!

My cousin had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer, so after an initial dabble with HRT, I decided to get through it in as natural a way as possible. That meant hypnosis and a relaxation tape to sort out my coping skills, more exercise to burn up the adrenaline that was making me anxious, and incorporating as much soy as I could into my diet. Tofu, soy yogurts/milk, and the Bergen bread that we have here in the UK, made from linseed and soy. Soy contains natural plant-based hormones. Yams do too, but are a bit more obscure for us to try and purchase here.

I also tried Black Cohosh and Agnus Castus herbal supplements but didn't find either very helpful - and I had read that randomized research trials had proven them to be no better than placebo, so I gave them up.

Also, it's pretty unhelpful getting hormone levels checked because they fluctuate, and a blood test on one day isn't really representative. However, a doctor could see if your levels of FSH hormone are changing. FSH is the hormone that stimulates ovulation each month. The answer might give a clue but isn't confirmatory in itself.

I hope that helps a little.
Immarsh
Hi Dixie,

I haven't been on for awhile, and yours is the first post I've read in months. I've had my ostomy since I was 15, and I'm 64 now....so you can do the math.

Everyone has given you some really good suggestions, so I'll just add a little about my experience.

I had a relatively "easy" transition to menopause (late 40's - early 50's), but I blamed all the varied symptoms I was having (anxiety, mood swings, etc.) on other issues. Silly me.

I did experience some "night heat waves" during both days and nights. I attributed the dry skin, dry eyes, etc., to ongoing bouts of dehydration, so I continued to drink more water.

With so many medical issues, it was difficult to pinpoint specific reasons for some of the symptoms. But the bouts of anxiety (especially at night) caused all kinds of nightmares, but taking lorazepam at night worked for me. I didn't like "sleeping aids," but I started to take melatonin and found that to be very helpful, and since it occurs naturally in the body, it's not like taking a real drug.

Although I'm finished with menopause, I've found that I still needed some "therapy" for mood swings. I "discovered" Tai Chi and Ai Chi (Tai Chi-like....but in the water), and it's great for concentration, relaxation, as well as balance and as a control for anxiety. I also take "Feldenkrais," which is another therapeutic movement/stretching class, and love the relaxed and calming aftermath. I wish I was more open to these things 20 years ago.

Continue talking here, and to other friends......to find what works for you. Best of luck
Marsha