Stricture in the ileum

In this discussion
Replies
Views
djcwiley
In February 2012, I had protocolectomy surgery and recreation of my ileostomy. I've suffered from continuous blockage on a weekly basis for at least 6 months. Needless to say, I assumed it was what I ate. In late June, I finally couldn't take the pain and went to the ER and lo and behold, it was a stricture in my terminal ileum.

Apparently, my terminal ileum was so eroded, the doctor said I probably had this stricture for at least 4 to 6 months. We are so used to dealing with pain and we all dread going to the ER only because of the lack of knowledge the medical staff has when it comes to standard care for ostomy patients.

My message is to listen to the signs of the physical pain and if you think something doesn't seem right, don't wait as I did because the doctor said if I waited any longer, my condition would have led to far more serious issues.

Has anyone experienced something similar and can share their experience or offer any suggestions.

Thank you for listening.

Debra
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE

Excellent advice, dear. I hope you are feeling better!! xoxoo .......oh yes, I have had similar situations, and unfortunately my last battle with that turned into a nightmare, due to doctors not listening to me and their misdiagnosis and years of dangerous 'treatments' and medicines that did no good, but in fact caused permanent harm......until FINALLY I found a surgeon who 'listened' to me........we know our bodies better than anyone else, and finding the right medical team members to help you is a careful and sometimes frustrating thing......the surgeon could not believe I was forced to go as long as I was, to the point where he was amazed, with all the complications it all caused, that I survived......I needed another surgery right away.........it was a miserable thing....but it was long overdue.

Always take your pain seriously, listen to your body, and be as proactive as possible in finding the right medical professionals to help you.........

Great post, Debra!!

~Doe

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
djcwiley
Wounded Doe,

Thank you for your reply, and yes, I agree with your last sentence. Well said. I spent more time training most of my nurses on how to care for an ostomy patient while I was in the hospital, so it was a very useful stay because they loved having the information directly from a patient with experience. The head of nursing actually asked if I would consider putting together some fact sheets for the nurses.

Ironically, I used to be a trainer and considering doing something on a big scale with ostomy care education.

Debra