Found Wonderful Medicine! Please Read!

Replies
Views
Slow momma
Hi All,

;As most of you know if youve read my posts I have had some awful problems lately with dehydration and such.. I was so dehdrated everything and I mean everything was going right through me. I was eating at least 5,000 calories a day and was loosing at least a pound a day. When I was in the hospital getting 4-5 bags of fluids a few weeks ago, They said drink more water. Seen my primary care dr the following week..drink more water...Im like this isnt right...I know my body and something just isnt right. I wont lie, I was so worried and scared that I was going to die I was getting so weak that I could hardly stand up anymore. I kept praying for God to help fix me..Finally It hit me to call the Ostomy nurse that I had seen once before. I was nearly in tears asking he if she knew what was wrong before it was to late...We talked a good 25 minutes. Shes been a Ostomy nurse at least 25 years so she knows a lot. She said I needed something called Questran...It replaces the bile salts in your body, holds things in, and slows down your system. I had to empty my bag every hour or less, It was always watery...
So, I call my primary care doctor and explained all that to the nurse and asked if shed have the dr order it. Its just a powder, no narcotics or anything, and she calls back later and said he wont that he said I have to see my G.I. doctor...Im like WHAT?????????? It was late last friday and I said great now im going to have to be sick all weekend just to have to wait till next week???? She kept saying im sorry, im sorry as im chewing her out!!!! I know its not her fault, But darn I was in bad shape and needed it NOW!!! So I make it through the weekend barely. By monday I wasnt hardly able to stand up anymore I was so weak and dizzy..
;So I had an appointment to see my G.I. doctor already but not till next week, I surely couldnt wait till then. So I called my surgeon. He knows what Ive been through and wont call unless its serious..I talked to his nurse and she said hes in surgery that morning and wont be in till 2pm. She said she will catch him as soon as he comes in and tell him. She said to call back at 2:15 and she will have me talk to him (like I have in the past). Well, I call at 2:15 and his receptionist answered and I told her what was going on..She said he was there about 5 minutes and had to rush to the hospital for emergency surgery. I was thinking great just when I need him..But she said shed get ahold of him as soon as she could and tell him what was going on. Well like I said they know when I call its something I need NOW so it wasnt about but 15 minutes and she called me back and said she had called it in for me...Hes told his staff several times that what ever I need to DO IT!! So I knew hed help me. I almost died 2-3 times with my dangerous/emergency surgeries with him and I know hes not going to let nothing happen to me now!!
I waited an hour and callled the pharmacy but this is not something they carry I guess. They had to order it and I got it the next day. Oh lord it was like drywall dust and tasted like sand going down. Tried different things and it was still GROSS!!!!!!! UGH. I was talking to that nurse again yesterday, and she said nobody else had ever told her it was that bad/nasty so she suggested to let it sit awhile when I mix it up so the powder has a chance to dissolve good. I tried that and it worked pretty well!! I wanted to also thank her for saving my life!! She said that product has been out a long time. I asked her why dont doctors know about this??? The doctors at the hospital couls of told me, My primary doctor could of told me...
She also was explaining more about the medicine. She said that our intestines have just a small area that produces these bile salts our bodies HAVE TO HAVE and she didnt know of my surgeries as to how much bowel I lost, So she said I may not even have that area now at all!!! So I got to thinking, an awful lot of my problems could of been from this..way back from after my first surgery???? I dont know, but it makes me wonder...
So, If any of you are having a lot of trouble staying hydrated and are constantly hungry...If I didnt eat every hour my stomach was so hungry and sick Id throw up!!! And if you had a lot of bowel removed, and have full liquid watery stools constantly, PLEASE see your doctor to get some of this wonder medicine. Ive had it 3 days now and Im a new person!! Im still so weak though from being down so long with this, plus the 3 months in the hospital and all the surgeries, But I feel so much better. They said it takes about 5 days to get the full effect, But im happy with feeling this much better. I hope I can save a lot of other people the troubles I have had to endure. Lord its so nice to go back to eating normal and have a drink of water when I want and not have to drink 20 bottles of water a day trying to stay hydrated...Once again its called QUESTRAN..The wonder medicine for me!!!
If anyone has any questions I will help what I can..Now my bag only has to be emptied every 3-4 hours and I have formed stools!! Woot woot thats amazing for me as its been liquid, liquid, liquid for the 61/2 monts Ive had it!!!

Im one happy camper!!
Everyone have a blessed weekend!! Barbara
three

Hi Barbara ~ That's wonderful you found something that works. I was reading about Questran (cholestyramine) and came across two facts (concerning tooth enamel and bowel obstructions) on the following Wikipedia page that I wanted to pass on in case you haven't already heard them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholestyramine
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Slow momma

Yes, I do know about the side effects. I brush my teeth after each dose. I can deal with the small side effects. But then what medicine doesn't have side effects? Those side effects are much better than what would have happened to me. I don't know how much longer I would have had as my kidneys were shutting down already. I was really bad. I'm seeing one of my doctors this week to see if he will check my kidney functions (blood drawn) and see if the levels have come down at all or if I'm going to have permanent damage. I'm praying all will be okay. Thanks for your reply.
Barbara