Diarrhea

Replies
Views
Ni

I suffer from frequent bouts of diarrhea. Does anyone know of some special diet that can help? Thanks

janice

The BRAT diet usually helps.

Bananas

Rice

Applesauce

Toast

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,316 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ni

Thank you, Janice. I tried banana before but it didn't help. I will surely try the other items you mentioned.

tarababy
Hi there Ni, when I was first an ostomate...ileostomate...I was forever emptying...which meant I still had the runs...So in my cooking, I had what we call stews...meat and veg all cooked together then thickened with flour...That helped heaps...I was also told about marshmallows...how they can help with the flow when trying to do a change...well, they work...but trust me, you can get sick of them real fast...Bread is another good one. Scones...pancakes...just watch the amount of butter...but it is true that what works for some won't work for others...so like the stoma nurse told me..."Tara, it is all trial and error...even with us nurses and doctors"...Really wish she didn't add on that last bit as well...made me feel realllll confident in going back...lmao...ok, hope something helps...take care.
tarababy

Or you could take the easy way out and do what I did...Codeine...or anything with side effects of constipation...good luck

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Indian
Hi Ni, no matter what you eat or do not eat, diarrhea will be your regular visitor. Once, I had it for 2 months with small breaks. It turned out to be an infection that went away with antibiotics. But I continue to get occasional bouts of diarrhea. I find that sometimes it is legumes, lentils, cheese, or some particular vegetables, and sometimes it is just nothing that I can put my finger on.

It is important that you know when you have one coming. That generally happens about 3 hours after any meal. So, you should eat your last meal about 3 hours before retiring. If your bag is okay, you are okay. Sleep well. Otherwise, prepare yourself for the hours ahead. I have not tried it, but I guess I will go for a second irrigation of the day to remove this threat - irrigation cleans up the system best. I am advised against double irrigation by many, but if anyone is aware of the fallout, please alert me.
Ni

Thanks Tara Indian for your advice. By the way, is it possible to do irrigation if one suffers from bouts of diarrhea. I was under the impression that irrigation makes diarrhea worse. Is that so?

Indian

I did. It cleaned up the system. As I said earlier, just in case you meet anyone with proper knowledge of 'dehydration' and what such a 'combo' may lead to, and advises you not to, just carry on. You will feel better. I irrigate without any hesitation. Any adverse effect would have shown. I am fit, absolutely fit.

Ni
Hi Indian

Thanks. At least this gives me a ray of hope!
Indian

Oh Ni, you are always welcome.
Anis

Ni
Hi Anis,

So sorry for getting your name wrong. My apologies for that. Today I'm feeling a bit down; I went to the gastroenterologist and mentioned irrigation to him. And guess what - he says he has never heard of ostomates practicing irrigation to stay 'dry'; all he knows is that people do so when they suffer from constipation! Well, I have read about irrigation on the internet and even one oncologist mentioned it to me! I will keep reading and learn more about it. I just hope to be able to do it one day.

Kind regards
Indian
Hi Ni,
Never mind about my name, in fact I never mentioned my name before.

I am shocked and surprised that so many people are still hiding inside their respective shells even now in this world of internet. Do not worry about what you hear from those advisers.

I hope you know the process of irrigation. If you do, then do not hesitate to try. It will not kill you - I can assure you. In case you do not know anything about irrigation, then get back to me. I will find out a suitable place where you can learn irrigation.

It is a simple process. However, it should at least once be helped by a trained professional/nurse so that all your curiosities are answered and misconceptions/fears removed. There are certain things that nurses do not tell you, but I can help you out with that.

Let me know.

Best of luck, Ni

Regards
Anis
PS: Did your 'gastro' identify any problem with your tummy? Suggested any medication like antibiotics, etc.?
jjj0922

Cheese thickens my stool.

Gus

Oat bran with rice milk helped me. It thickens the squirts and the rice milk adds some sweetness to it, a bit like me, all sweetness.

Steve

gutenberg
Yeah Steve, but look at what its doing to your NOSE, LOL
Gus

Thanks, Ed. You plick. LMAO.