Itching is terrible

Replies
Views
prendi

Hi, does anyone with an ileostomy get terrible itching around the stoma? I get an awful itch in which I nearly tear the skin around it. Any tips, folks? Also, is anyone always very weak and tired? I don't think I am getting the nutrients from my food like I did before, and what is an energy food for us ostomates? Thanks.

Pinky

I always use witch hazel around the area and have not had any real itching or skin breakdowns since I started using it several years ago. It's all natural and cheap (especially at Target).

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Monsieur Le President

Try stomahesive paste around the flange to seal the stoma properly.
Change more often.
It sounds like you are getting the content on to your skin.
The output from your stoma is VERY corrosive.

scotiaman

Prendi...assuming you have no fluid leaks under the wafer, I know exactly where you are coming from...from time to time I experience the same, sometimes under the wafer or plate, sometimes just around it and it itches like heck...when the itch occurs around the outside edge I use Gold Bond powder, but I will also try the witch hazel...if underneath the plate, I cuss a lot!!!!

ZaliBee

God
I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I thought that I might have a leak, but that wasn't it. I thought that I needed to clean around the stoma area better, but that wasn't it either. I tried antifungal ointments at the suggestion of a nurse. Nope.

I get the itch mostly when I'm changing my flange and I will rub it raw if I don't stop myself. Stomahesive helps a little, but I'm going to try the witch hazel at my next change.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister