Ostomy pouch coming unstuck in hot weather

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Alan the wrench

I have had my ostomy since 19 February 2014, and work in Oman where it is now starting to get a bit warm. I have now started a more active role at work which requires spending quite a lot of time outside. The problem I am experiencing now is when I start to sweat, my pouch becomes unstuck. One day last week, I used 3 pouches in that day and today I have had the same problem.

Has anyone experienced this problem or know how I can overcome it?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Alan, have you tried switching brands? Most companies offer a standard and a deluxe "extended wear" barrier. You might try the upgraded version. Do you use an Eakin "ring"?

What type of ostomy do you have? You haven't changed your prep, have you? Not using any perfumed or moisturizing soap beforehand?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
dsmithsc91

Have you tried the elastic belts that can be worn with most/all convex pouches? They have worked well for me on long runs/bike rides in the heat. I also had no issues during a trip to Hawaii where we were out in the heat and humidity all the time. I'm not sure that all compares to what you are dealing with in Oman, but it could be worth a shot if you haven't already tried it. Good luck...

chadderzanne69

Ugh, I had this problem before also. I have had my ileostomy for 15 years. I use Convatec Stomahesive Extended Wear One Piece Active Life Drainable Pouches. I also used two-inch Perma Type pink tape to help keep a sturdy seal. I have gotten in hot tubs and hot weather with this ostomy system and pink tape, for me it works wonders. Hope the info helps. Also, I have to use Hollister adhesive remover wipes and Hollister skin barrier wipes or my pouches don't stay attached. Something, I guess, doesn't mix with the chemistry of my skin. If I use Allkare, my bag falls right off ;(

Toby

Alan, I had the same problem in the summers where the temperatures and humidity can get really high. My ostomy nurse gave me a product called Skin-Tac that you apply to your skin which makes the skin tacky before you put on your appliance. It really adds a layer of adhesive that has gotten me through several summers without leaks. Good luck!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
klark

Alan... I've been there too. I was using a Hollister 1-piece and had many (LOL) accidents when it was hot and humid. I then tried a 2-piece wafer and pouch system which is now working fine for me, also using the Hollister universal remover wipes... then the skin gel dressing wipes that provide tackiness. I clean the area around my stoma with the remover wipes, then dab completely dry with toilet tissue or a paper towel. Next, apply the skin gel dressing wipes, I wait until the area is completely dry around the stoma before putting on the wafer. I blow on it and fan it to help it along LOL!! Really hot and humid days I put on 2 strips of 2-inch surgical tape 1 top and 1 bottom.

I bowl and play a lot of golf, out on the course when temperatures and humidity are over 90F and had no problems in a couple of years. But it's not Oman!! LOL! I hope this helps... Kevin