Can pool chlorine harm adhesives?

Replies
Views
Jennfour

Does anyone know if pool chemicals or chlorine can affect the adhesives? I went in for the first time yesterday and my back plate leaked and lifted in the night. Coincidence or chlorine? Would be grateful for any info. Thanks heaps.

Xerxes

I am not sure about the chlorine. However, I imagine it can't be too beneficial. It might be more the result of the length of time you spent in the water. I know, based on my experience, prolonged exposure to water will loosen up the adhesive.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,435 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jennfour

Thank you Xerxes, as a fairly newbie (6 months), I hate changing the "full monty" more than twice a week. I was only in the pool for 15 minutes - but would not like to be forced to change the back plate every day if I was swimming. Hoping it was something else - will give it another go soon and just wait and see what happens lol!

magpie

I would definitely keep swimming. I've never had an issue with swimming, hot tubs, etc. I've sat in hot tubs which have lots of chemicals, heat, etc. for long periods of time. Sometimes I may change my bag a little sooner knowing I've been swimming a lot but not every time. I think that was just a fluke in your case.

Jennfour

Thanks Magpie, all good advice.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
bigal1579

Swimming and chlorine have never been an issue at all. Get a swim wrap from Ostomysecrets to keep it tight and I think you'll notice no issues whatsoever. The only problem might be if it is starting to come loose and the water pressure pushes it off further, but with a wrap you won't have to worry about that.

Also, plan to give yourself opportunities to empty it so it doesn't balloon out, and you should enjoy swimming just as much as ever.

carlos77

I swim frequently and have not had trouble with either chlorinated pool water or salt sea water. I use a Sure Seal Ring over the wafer all of the time and I think it gives extra assurance. Several times it has "contained" a blowout.

Jennfour

Thank you Carlos77.

I will look into the Sure Seal ring and give it a go.

Past Member

I have also used both the Sure Seal and Aqua Seal. They're the only things that got me back into the water. I'm pretty sure there's a way to buy the material in bulk (I forget the name), and simply cut pieces to fit on all four sides, but that's a bit advanced for now and probably only worthwhile if you're trying to save a buck or two.

carlos77

I think the tape material is called Tegaderm.

Jennfour

Thank you everyone for your help. Cheers, Jenn4.