Swollen Tummy Every Day!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
pete b

Hi guys and gals ....

I had an ileostomy in August 2014, the good old NHS seemed to mess up just about everything they did to me.

I had one operation which was an Colostomy, leaving some of my large intestine/bowel. Managed to twist my small intestine, it also had a couple of adhesions, after lots of pain and distended belly the decided to operate again turning it into an ileostomy. I lost about a third of my body weight whilst in hospital, very ill and almost met my maker, but the bar stewards couldn't kill me off ....lol

My main problem now is this........Every night I go to bed and wake up with a flat (ish) belly, then, as soon as I eat it begins to swell up, by the end of the day its very uncomfortable and some days my wound (another story) tries to split back open with the pressure. I've had a Hydrogen breath test for SIBO which came back negative and I wasn't at all surprised as the drink you have to take is for people with a colon and constipation, its designed to go through the stomach and small intestine and end up in the large bowel, well I dont have one of those!!

I spoke to the "expert" at guys hospital and explained all of this, her response was "WeEEell we should be able to see something??

This drink emptied into my pouch in about 45 minutes, the test (blowing into bags ) lasts for 3 hours....So I wasn't surprised it came back negative!!!

Expert Doc says try the FODMAP diet and I'll see you in 3 months.....I cant afford to eat the stuff on a Fodmap diet!!.....and as Expert Doc said about wheat and gluten intolerance" If you didn't have it before the op you woud't have it now"Same must surely apply to FODMAP, I wasn'y alergic to carbohydrates before so why should I be now???

I think I have SIBO .......

After that rant I have a question for you lovely ;people ............At the weekend I went fishing with my brother, there are no toilet facilities at the lakeside, so I used a large pot with a sealed lid, each time I emptied my pouch into the pot, I unscrewed the lid and there would be a hissing and the contents would be fermenting and almost bubbling.

Could this be happening in my small intestine????which would explain the swelling........any ideas???? the experts haven't a clue!!!

Thanks for reading people!!!

Pete b

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi Pete,

Wow, hissing... did they run tests on the urine and find anything? I sure hope you get some answers soon!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
pete b

Hi Mrs. A

No, they haven't done that... they're pretty useless really... They got all excited about ripping out my colon, once that's done they almost don't want to know anymore, or they just "don't know"...

Mrs.A

Wow, Pete. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope someone who can help you comes along soon.

djcwiley

I've experienced my output bubbling and it seems to be when I eat certain food combinations. If I eat anything with skin or foods that are harsh on the digestive system, I typically stay with the low-residue diet or full liquid if I have trouble with blockage. Keep a food journal so you can isolate the problem. Also, journal any pain you are experiencing and measure the amount of output daily. The average output for ileostomy patients is 700 to 1200 cc.

Hope this helps.

Debra

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister