Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,170 members

Gas Reduction

Posted by WAB, on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:06 am
Beano cuts down on gas production by starving these bacteria

In case you're wondering, the over-the-counter product Beano — which claims to "prevent gas before it occurs" — actually works as advertised. Two different controlled trials have found that it significantly reduces gas production in the hours following a bean-filled meal.

The way it works is pretty simple: the pills contain an enzyme called alpha-galactosidasethat cuts complex carbohydrates into shorter, simpler carbs that are much easier to digest. As a result, they get broken down in your small intestine, rather than making it all the way to the large intestine, where bacteria would ferment them, producing gas.

Reply by WAB, on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:09 am

Reply by iMacG5, on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:58 pm

Thanks WAB.  Good to know and I'll be buying some tomorrow.

Mike

Reply by Mrs.A, on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:41 pm

This is good information. I have been using beano long before I got a colostomy.

Reply by Immarsh, on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks for posting.  Excess gas, at all time of the day and night, are driving me crazy in recent years.  It could be because I changed to more of a plant based diet, and am eating less meat and more grains.  Beano never worked for me in the past, but I'm going to give it a try. 

I did some research, and this clip was taken from a Medical journal article.   I hope it helps.  The cause of gas ( for an ostomate) i s fermantation of carb related waste.   Hmm , so less carbs are better?   But it goes along with the theory that Beano will break down some of the complex carbs in the small intestine ( since those with ilostomies, don't have a large intestine/ colon

Keywords: chlorhexidine; fermentation gas; ileostomy; low fibre diet; metronidazole.

The composition of early morning gas from the bags of 10 ileostomates was determined using gas chromatography. Seven of the 10 had a predominance of gases attributable to bacterial fermentation (H2 and CO2, 70 ± 12%). The remaining three contained mainly atmospheric gases, N2 and O2, with only small amounts of fermentation gases (7 ± 3%).

When a controlled low fibre (0.7 g) dinner was substituted for a high fibre (13.5 g) evening meal, there was a corresponding decrease in the volume of fermentation gas in the ileostomy bag the next morning (P < 0.05).

Gas production from ileostomy effluent was inhibited in vitro by 10 < pH < 5 and by antimicrobial agents. The most effective were metronidazole, chloramphenicol, tetracycline, erythromycin and chlorhexidine. These reduced fermentation gas by more than 95%.

It was concluded that the majority of the gas produced by ileostomates is formed by bacterial fermentation of the faecal waste in their ileostomy bag and that this may be controlled by careful manipulation of their diet.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.