Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,170 members

Canadian Tax Question.

Posted by Rusty, on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:27 pm

Are there any ostomates with an urostomy, in Canada, that have successfuly applied for and received, the disability tax credit?

I have read of some folks with a colostomy, or ileostomy that have done this apparently, but don't know of any people with an urostomy doing same.

Reply by postygal61, on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi There..

I have a ileostomy and live in British Columbia. I applied for the diability credit and got it !!!! Get the forms, your doctor has to sign it, some doctors will not!!! You have to write in a letter why you think you are eligable. The letter has to be GOOD...or they will turn you down!! 

Reply by Uro2011, on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:27 pm

Yes, I have a urostomy and was denied my first time and I applied again and was approved for 10 yrs before I have to re-apply again. Not really sure why because it's not like my bladder is going to grow back?? I was allowed to go back to my surgery year of 2011 and get my taxes reassessed. My first doctor wrote 4 words on my first application and charged me $85 and I was obviously denied for his lack of effort. He really didn't know anything about ostomies. I would take it to your surgeon as it needs to include a lot of detail. I was told to keep applying if they keep denying. It's ridiculous because if they are approving many why not approve all?? We all basically deal with the same issues and difficulties.An ostomy is an ostomy! Good luck and keep applying until they approve you because you do qualify. It helps to offset the expensive cost of our supplies.

Reply by Past Member, on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:57 pm

Hi! I have an ostomy, applied and got it the first try!  Definitely write a letter with it. 

Reply by dina, on Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi, i just moved to Florida. And i need to know if i can get any disability tax credit or any kind of help. I am 54 years old. Thanks. 

Reply by Past Member, on Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:15 am

I would think you could check 

online at myaccessflorida.com

hope you have a great Holidays

Reply by dina, on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:36 am

Thank you. Merry Christmas 🎄

Reply by Past Member, on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:55 pm

Happy holidays and merry Christmas to you also

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.