How often to change ileostomy bag?

Replies
Views
carolmcq

Can anyone tell me how often you should change your bag.

LadyHope

Hi Carolmcq, thanks for the post. I always find this topic interesting. I change my bag every day. The reason that I do this task is because the filter usually clogs within 24 hrs and stops working. In order to avoid ballooning, I change my bag. I also feel that my bag/filter after about a day or day and a half, begins to hold odor. I did have my filter leak once too. I use ostomy deodorant in my pouch as well. That being said, on rare occasions, my filter is fine the second day, so I leave the bag for another day. My filter clogs more quickly most likely because I have an ileostomy and my output is more liquid than firm. Hope this helps. Take care. LadyHope

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LadyHope

Forgot to mention that I use a drainable pouch. Thanks.

LadyElf

Hi, I am able to change my pouch about every 5-7 days. Since I have started using the disposable liners, the pouch stays clean longer.

Mrs.A

Hi Carol,

I like to change my bag whenever I feel it's starting to hold an odor. I wear a two-piece drainable system and I change the flange about every four days depending on how the glue looks. It tends to get lighter in color when it is wearing out. It also can depend on what I've eaten, as some things tend to cause more of an issue than others. The change of weather can also make a difference if I'm more active, like in the spring and summer months.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
bes0642

Carolmcq

I've had my ileostomy for 12 years now. I change my one-piece drainable every 7 to 10 days. I use a Hollister barrier ring. Wear time really depends on how clean the skin is and how well the ring seals around my stoma. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Bes0642

Immarsh

As you can see by the replies, there are no "shoulds". Just do what you find comfortable for yourself. I've had my ostomy for more than 50 years, so my original pouches and flange were not disposable... I had two, washed them after using them, and rotated. Odor was always a concern, so I used the deodorant that was available. Since disposables became available, I wear the flange and pouch for as long as they last.... usually 5-7 days, sometimes longer. Like others, if I detect an odor, I'll change the pouch sooner. I'm going to try the new filter Convatec pouches again. I was really disappointed the first time because it only lasted a day before I had to change it. It clogged. I'm told this is a "newer / better one". Time will tell. Just be flexible and do what feels right for you. It's almost like choosing the type of toilet paper you use.... Best of luck to you. Marsha

LadyHope

Hi Marsha, great post! You are so right...do what works best for you. Yes, I use a pouch with a filter and it always clogs in the first day or two....ugh! Anyway, thanks for the post. Talk to you soon. LH