Post-op Depression and Vocal Cord Issues: Seeking Support and Advice

Replies
Views
becrhomat

I'm two months post-op. I already had depression before and was nervous about it appearing afterwards. I felt really good, however, until the last few days. I'm also having vocal cord issues....not related at all....and I suppose this is also stressing me.

Emra

Maybe there is an ostomy support group in your area? Speak with your doctor - perhaps he/she can recommend a therapist or possibly put you on a light antidepressant. I know that feeling... it surprised me because I was not expecting that. I was not prepared for the surgery - it was done emergently. I spoke with my family, my husband.... my brother suggested possibly seeing a therapist. My pastor called me... and then I came here and spilled my heart out about how I was feeling. The responses I received helped me... I was NOT alone... there are others out there just like me and my experiences, my emotions were not unique... every single person who responded had gone through the same see-saw of emotions. One respondent said it best - she suggested that every day I say "it's going to get better, it's going to get better."

My husband and I have a wicked sense of humor and that is what is pulling us through... we laugh, we make fun.... and when he sees me getting THAT look on my face, he calls me on it.

It will get better - once you get the leakage issue under control... you will get back to your life! The first thing I did to get back my life was to go have my eyebrows waxed... it's a small thing, yes, but I built on that. I then made an appointment for a haircut... and then I went all out and had a manicure and a pedicure. My life was there waiting for me to reclaim it... it will happen to you too!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bettyjoe

Yes, Erma is right. A dear friend took me to get a haircut, mani/pedi when I was feeling doomed. I am four months colostomy and I must say that when I talk about my stoma to a selected few that listen, I tend to feel better. Sites like this one have been so beneficial to my sanity. Just say, it will get better.

becrhomat

I was already on meds. I thought I was prepared and was feeling great, so the last few days have been disappointing at how I've been feeling. The leakage is under control, but the adhesive is irritating my skin. My ET nurse started me on some good skin prep, and I can't wait for my new bags to come in that should work better. I live in a very, very small town and try to go out to my parents in the next town. I know things will get better... it's just hard to remember sometimes.

becrhomat

Oh, and there is an ostomy support group I'm part of. They break until September, but I can still text a couple of people that have been helpful from the group. I'm just so stunned that I was feeling terrific and positive right after surgery, and then it hit me really hard. I'm having vocal cord issues as well, and I can barely talk, and that's stressing me too. I start speech therapy tomorrow.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Emra

It will get better...it will.   Just take it one day at a time, one issue at a time.   We care....I try to live by this motto "don't repay kindness, pass it on."   The kindness and support I received here was the tonic I needed.   It will get better!   The longest journey starts with that first step.  

becrhomat

Thank you... I just found out the woman doing my speech therapy is sick and it's rescheduled until next Wednesday. I understand, but I'm so disappointed. It's been months I've been struggling.

Freebyrd

Hi becrhomat.

Depression can be a very difficult thing to deal with.

Depression is like the sky, on a dark, gloomy and cloudy day. I always try to remember that on the other side of the dark, cloudy sky is the bright sun shining on a bright beautiful day. I just can't see it at the time, but it will return.

I hope you start feeling back to your natural, happy self real soon.

Brother Ken

becrhomat

Thanks!

ycats

I am two months post-op and am exactly where you are.....I started seeing a therapist and will be seeking antidepressants. I am a very energetic and outgoing person that had to stop working on my own housekeeping business. I feel like I let a lot of clients down even though they all were very supportive. I have good days and bad. Fortunately, you wake up the next day.....and the next....and the next.....then you find a site such as this and see that happiness will return. I have a boyfriend that could care less about helping me to care for my stoma. It's all up to me and that's fine. However, he has no desire to accompany me to support groups. He hates "those places".... Oh, during my reversal in January, he will be snowmobiling cause he can save money.....I feel sorry for myself and feel like a child sometimes.

becrhomat

I don't have a significant other. I'm a single mom of two. It's all very frustrating and almost six months now of not being able to talk. Sigh.

ycats

Good thing you can type

realmccoy18

You seem like a very nice person. It makes me sad that your boyfriend doesn't seem to be supportive of you. I wonder if you do not deserve better? Don't settle because you deserve to be happy.

becrhomat

Is that for me? I don't have a significant other.

realmccoy18

No, the response was to ycats. Have a good day.

Peggy