Just had a dissection surgery

Replies
Views
NJKid1998

Hello, my name is John. I just got a dissection surgery. They took out my large intestine, as well as my colon. They also made a J pouch. I am about one week into my 8 weeks until I go for my second surgery. Today was going well. I don't think I ate as much, maybe that's why. I've been having cramps. It feels like I have to go to the bathroom. I went to the bathroom to see what happens. The cramps came and I pushed a little. Blood came out. Is this normal? Maybe it's leftover from surgery or something. Or should I go to the doctor? Please help...

NJ Bain

John,

If your rectum is still intact and you push out a little blood or mucus, this is usually normal after surgery. Usually, they would give you a medicinal enema to clear out the remaining fecal matter.

It's never a bad idea to call your doctor if you're concerned, but as long as you're not in pain and not running a fever, you should be okay. But if you start running a fever, go to the ER.

What will be your second surgery? I don't have a lot of experience with J pouches, but I'm sure one of our members here does. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJKid1998

Hello Bain, I just called the doctor. He said it is because of the surgery and it is normal. Also, yes, I live in NJ. I live in Middlesex County.

NJ Bain

John,

Glad you're doing okay. I commend you for having to go through the surgery as a teenager as many of the members here have done the same. It's a scary thing to have and get used to, but we've all been through it.

I know you will find a wealth of knowledge, advice, and support on this site. We are all happy to answer any questions you might have. Hang in there!

Bain